Traditions Buckstalker vs CVA Wolf

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to pick up my first ML. A local store has both the CVA Wolf and the Traditions Buckstalker, both in Northwest legal versions. The Wolf appears to be stainless, while the Buckstalker is available blued or with silver cerakote. Handling both, I had a slight preference for the feel and sight picture of the Buckstalker, but before making a decision I would like to hear input on if there are pros & cons of each model.
Also, I'm wondering if the stainless is preferable over the cerakoted carbon steel, because the cerakote doesn't help inside the bore?

Thank you!

OXN939

WKR
I'm a big Wolf fan as the best value-for-dollar piece of equipment in the outdoors. My high speed T/C Encore setup that will be hanging out in the safe while I take my Wolf out for blackpowder opener here next week.

Never used a Buckstalker, but all 3 Wolves I've set up shoot groups centerfire rifles would be excited about with the right combination of components.

OP
C

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious if your recommendations are based on bad experience with Traditions, or just good experience with CVA?

Do the Traditions guns have known issues?

OXN939

WKR
Do the Traditions guns have known issues?

Not to my knowledge. Truly, from a macro perspective, an inline muzzleloader is much simpler system than almost any centerfire firearm out there. The rifles you mention, cheap as they are, will probably do just fine for most hunting purposes. Simply providing my experience with the Wolf punching way above its paygrade.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Why would you want a chromoly ML vs a stainless? Traditions are bottom of the barrel MLs. You cant even get much aftermarket support for the Traditions. Very few bases and no aftermarket plugs that work better. No easily removed firing pin assembly so a thorough cleaning is not quite as easy. The CVA has a steel bushing that is easily removed for cleaning and conversion to 209 primer if you want.

CVA customer service is also better. If that Cerakote flakes and you get rust ITS NOT COVERED.

OP
C

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Alright so I bought one today, found an Optima V2. Can't wait to shoot it. Holy cow does it have a light trigger!! It must be less than 1.5lb and absolutely zero creep. I think if I was wearing my fleece camo gloves it might go off before my finger could feel the trigger. Definitely not cocking it until I'm on target...

RMP

FNG
1.5lbs is too light for a hunting rifle. Is it adjustable? I had a Ruger GSR that came with a trigger that broke well under 2 lbs. It was like a permanent hair trigger.

Pecosray

FNG
Buyer BEWARE,
My 1st tag in Colorado so I need a Colorado legal Rifle, I purchased a Traditions Buckstalker from Muzzelloader.com and Brand New right out of the box PROBLEMS... , Never been shot and muzzleloader.com says NO REFUNDS EVER .... and wants nothing to do with it, they said call Traditions..... So I Contacted the Mfg. in Saybrook, CT, Apparently If I don't have the original box and all the propaganda (Which I Don't ) I'm not qualified for a replacement Hello its just paperwork.. (Bazaar right) ....... So my options are..........
A. Send it back to Traditions for repair, it did sound like they would cover costs of repair but that was not clear but I pay for all shipping costs.
B. Take it to a local gunsmith and all costs are on me of course.
I have to say, As a consumer I did not get Warm Fuzzies from either of these company's so Buyer Beware.

#muzzleloader.com #muzzleloader #traditionsmuzzleloader #buckstalker #tradiltions

Attachments

• BuckStalker1.JPG
    BuckStalker1.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 11
My nephews traditions will sometimes break open under recoil
It must not fully latch
The latch release I front of the trigger guard appears to be plastic
Not a good idea