Tragic bear attack

Beendare

WKR
I didn't say that training doesn't reduce the probability of a ND. I said it doesn't reduce the probability to zero, which is what bsnedeker stated. As in, the total absence of a possibility that an accident can occur. Because that is never zero.

Wind Gypsy on the first page said he never hears about ND's, so the article was just to give an idea of how many there are per year. Does the location of an ND change the fact that it was a ND?

Last edited:

Whisky

WKR
Appendix don't work for me. Tried it for about 3 seconds and figured that out. I sit at a desk, and have a beer gut.

I clearly bought the wrong pistol. Got a Sig P365xl w/o safety, but now see they make one with a safety. Probably have to trade her in.

bsnedeker

WKR
Appendix don't work for me. Tried it for about 3 seconds and figured that out. I sit at a desk, and have a beer gut.

I clearly bought the wrong pistol. Got a Sig P365xl w/o safety, but now see they make one with a safety. Probably have to trade her in.
I've got a Berretta PX4 sub compact and a full size, both in 9mm and they both have a safety on them...I'll trade ya if you're interested in one or the other! That Sig is a sweet gun!

Whisky

WKR
I've got a Berretta PX4 sub compact and a full size, both in 9mm and they both have a safety on them...I'll trade ya if you're interested in one or the other! That Sig is a sweet gun!

Thanks for the offer, however my local gun guy has the model I need in stock, and will be trading in on Saturday.

Fatcamp

WKR

Come to the Glock side, friend. It's warm and cozy from all the hate in here.

Bighorner

WKR
Each to there own. I will say there is a pretty darn big difference between carrying a pistol in everyday life and carrying for a possible bear in encounter

Also, possibly the worse place to be after an accidental discharge into you or your friend is deep in bear country.

This happened 3 years ago and the poor guy/circumstances have been pretty thoroughly beat up.

Probably didn't chamber a round because there's no manual safety. More worried about a negligent discharge than a bear attack. Chances of the former are probably higher than the latter to be fair.

Your right there are 3 safeties on a Glock not just one and all have to be manually manipulated by motion or force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you're not comfortable carrying a handgun in Condition One, you should probably not carry one at all. The whole purpose of carrying in C1 is so that you only need one hand to shoot. Having an injured hand/arm/appendage makes it nearly impossible to rack a round with only one hand if you need it.

As far as ND goes, one of the reasons I carry a 1911 is that it is basically impossible to have a ND. A 1911 requires 3 actions to be fired: release thumb safety, squeeze grip safety, pull trigger. With regards to NDs with Glocks, there's a reason for the term "Glock Leg". I personally wouldn't take one as a gift.

I’m your huckleberry on an ND with a 1911. In fact it is the ONLY weapon in over 40 years of handling firearms that I’ve had an ND with so while statistically low, it’s not impossible with the all mighty 1911. I don’t blame the gun, I blame me. I did something negligent to cause it to discharge.

I also carry a Glock every day fully loaded and chambered for over 15 years and am 100% comfortable with it.

Don’t press the trigger with your finger or other object and it won’t go bang. Pretty simple.

Your right there are 3 safeties on a Glock not just one and all have to be manually manipulated by motion or force.

My post clearly says manual safety. It’s objectively easier to have a ND with a trigger safety than say a thumb safety. One requires you to accidentally pull the trigger, the other requires you to accidentally flip the safety and then pull the trigger.

I’m not saying anyone should use one or the other. But if people prefer to carry with a manual safety I don’t understand why everyone sh*ts on them for it. Do what you’re comfortable with. For me, it’s a manual safety.

If the time difference between drawing and firing the two is a difference maker then you’re probably getting mauled either way.

Fatcamp

WKR
My post clearly says manual safety. It’s objectively easier to have a ND with a trigger safety than say a thumb safety. One requires you to accidentally pull the trigger, the other requires you to accidentally flip the safety and then pull the trigger.

I’m not saying anyone should use one or the other. But if people prefer to carry with a manual safety I don’t understand why everyone sh*ts on them for it. Do what you’re comfortable with. For me, it’s a manual safety.

If the time difference between drawing and firing the two is a difference maker then you’re probably getting mauled either way.

It's not the time it's the potential complication.

WCB

WKR
A good point to make here is that if you are going to carry a pistol you should cut those things off your coats. Rookie stuff there.

And holstering weapons is dangerous, need to pay attention. Honestly, with IWB holster they should be removed prior to reholstering.
Maybe rookie stuff for those that know but funny thing...the "highly trained" LE agents/officers are the #1 users group I have seen this happen to.

Fatcamp

WKR
Maybe rookie stuff for those that know but funny thing...the "highly trained" LE agents/officers are the #1 users group I have seen this happen to.

Sounds like a training issue to me. And not a high level one either. We both know most LEO are not gun people. Those that are good are very good, but most are not.

bsnedeker

WKR
Damn, nailed me Corky.

Don't you hunt the Little Belts because you're scared of grizz bears?

I love how the guy who thinks guns go off by themselves is calling me a retard! What a classy guy!

I hunt elk where the elk are. I hunt bears in NW MT...you think I'm afraid of grizz? Lol!