Trail Biscuits (Bannock)

BuckSnort

WKR
I made these at home today as a test and I will be making these on the trail, they are pretty tasty for the short cook time and few ingredients...

1 cup of white flour
1Tbs of Baking POWDER
pinch of salt
1 Tbs Olive Oil

Optional: Sugar, Garlic Salt.

At home: Mix dry ingredients and place into ziploc freezer bag..

At camp: Slowly add just enough water to reach sticky consistency.. Add oil to pan bring to temp and glob mixture onto pan, flip when golden brown..

Serves 2-3 people and has about 450 calories total..

You can make plain biscuits or make Garlic biscuits with the garlic salt or even sweet biscuits with sugar.. I would imagine a small condiment sized honey packet would be excellent for honey biscuits...

Edit: I'm sure Bisquick would be great for the sweeter biscuits but I like the thought of being able to add Garlic salt for garlic biscuits if I desire..

Attachments

• trail biscuits.jpg
    trail biscuits.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Man I was just getting ready to post almost the same thing!!!! Made some to go with eggs n bacon MH and beef stew. The oil and pan is worth the weight! We took a couple jelly packets and butter packets with us. For a pack in hunt would be a great pick me up after couple days of not seeing anything. I've been making these for years just enough water to make a ball flatten out and you get real close to a buscuit from the oven. FYI a lid helps make them fluff up.

Last edited:
I would have to have a teflon-coated titanium frying pan to justify it. I read a bunch of the AR Harding books out of Fur Fish n Game magazine's old school book section. What you describe was the main course for a lot of boondockers back in the day. It is a shame all of our technigues and gear have lost the art of wild cooking. I have a Nalgene cup that I mounted a bail wire on. I cannot find any cookware with a bail wire, they only have handles for using a stove.

Lawnboi

WKR
This is what i need to eat with my mountain house meals!

Now i need to figure out a dry gravy mix, and some dehydrated sausage chunks to pour over it

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
That's easy lawnboi packaged gravy just have to figure out the ratio of water to mix for the amount you want to make, probably just throw the mix and sausage in a MH bag add half cold water stir it then add the hot water. Think I'm gonna experiment.