Trail Cam Bear Size?

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is the archery bear I shot in '18. This was the trail cam pic of the bear about a 6-7 or so weeks before I shot it. Tooth report said it was a 6-7 years old. Legs were almost black and top was still cinnamon color at time of harvest. 14 yards, quartering towards me. I was on the ground behind some brush and found a little spring he was in. I ground stalked 8 bears in 8 days and this guy had the best colors and the setup was just right. I had 2 bears as close as 5 yards to me at my setup before they busted out. What an awesome hunt. Guessing it was 225 lbs.

Not always about how big and fat they are. Opening day I had a solid black 300lb bear at 30 yards. But I wanted some character in the coat. Glad I waited.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190713-200530.png
    Screenshot_20190713-200530.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20180908_190428.jpg
    IMG_20180908_190428.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 35
Here is the archery bear I shot in '18. This was the trail cam pic of the bear about a 6-7 or so weeks before I shot it. Tooth report said it was a 6-7 years old. Legs were almost black and top was still cinnamon color at time of harvest. 14 yards, quartering towards me. I was on the ground behind some brush and found a little spring he was in. I ground stalked 8 bears in 8 days and this guy had the best colors and the setup was just right. I had 2 bears as close as 5 yards to me at my setup before they busted out. What an awesome hunt. Guessing it was 225 lbs.

Not always about how big and fat they are. Opening day I had a solid black 300lb bear at 30 yards. But I wanted some character in the coat. Glad I waited.
Eight bears? Hell of a hunt. What time of year?

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Eight bears? Hell of a hunt. What time of year?

Yes 8 bears. 7 days of hunting. One a day, and two one of those.. Early September in CO. It was a 1-2 point draw unit. 2 guarantees it. One of the coolest experiences being that close to them on the ground watching them in their natural element. 2019 my brother in law shot this bear in the same area and he burned his two points also. Didnt draw with one in 18 when I drew.

Attachments

• 20200724_082922.jpg
    20200724_082922.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Yes 8 bears. 7 days of hunting. One a day, and two one of those.. Early September in CO. It was a 1-2 point draw unit. 2 guarantees it. One of the coolest experiences being that close to them on the ground watching them in their natural element. 2019 my brother in law shot this bear in the same area and he burned his two points also. Didnt draw with one in 18 when I drew.

Sounds like an awesome area! Congratulations.

OP
fuelthehunt

That sounds awesome man. Nice bear for sure and great story to go with it. Can't beat that.