Trail Cam Bear Size?

Don't know a lot about bear hunting but got a tag for the first time last year and will pick up another this year. I caught this guy on cam about a week ago. Any size estimates? In a video he came up and smelled my cam that is about 5 1/2 feet off the ground.

California Black Bear if anyone is wondering.

IMG_3994.jpg

I run bear with hounds and they sometimes tree in big trees. We usually look at there how big their ears look. If the look small usually a good size bear. Also there legs size if they look long legged usually a smaller bear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe not a monster but has a nice cinnamon colored coat! Seems like all I ever get to see are straight black ones

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200714-171126_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200714-171126_Gallery.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 69
OP
fuelthehunt
Gotcha. Any estimate of this guy or to hard to tell from this? I also got this guy on cam that I can clearly tell is small. I see what you mean by the legs and ears though after looking back at this one.

small bear - log.jpg

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know a lot about bear hunting but got a tag for the first time last year and will pick up another this year. I caught this guy on cam about a week ago. Any size estimates? In a video he came up and smelled my cam that is about 5 1/2 feet off the ground.

California Black Bear if anyone is wondering.

View attachment 197355
I shot one last year that was similar in size. His dressed weight was just over 200 lbs. About 4.5' long so easily able to reach 5.5 if standing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

OP
fuelthehunt
Maybe not a monster but has a nice cinnamon colored coat! Seems like all I ever get to see are straight black ones

Thats a nice looking bear. Ya I love the cinnamon coat. I also had a nice 4x4 come into this same spot.

OP
fuelthehunt
Not a huge bear but a good bear and with that cinnamon coat he'd be on my hit list.
Good luck.

Ya he's on the hit list for sure. I really do like his coat as well. It's a spot I'll be deer hunting as I had a nice buck on cam here as well. I'll have no problem slinging an arrow into if he comes into range though.

OP
fuelthehunt
I shot one last year that was similar in size. His dressed weight was just over 200 lbs. About 4.5' long so easily able to reach 5.5 if standing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Awesome! I was estimating about 250 live weight so I guess I didn't do to bad a job lol.

OP
fuelthehunt
I'm the odd one out, but I see a 140# cinnamon sow.

Yes you are haha. I asked for opinions and you are entitled to it even if it's wrong ;) (ps. you could be 100% correct because I really don't know haha)

Beautiful color phase sow. Big butt, fairly short body and a bit narrow on the snout to be a boar in my opinion. Back legs have thin ankles too.

Wrench

WKR
Yes you are haha. I asked for opinions and you are entitled to it even if it's wrong ;) (ps. you could be 100% correct because I really don't know haha)
Don't take what I said offensive. A true 140-160# bear is an internet 200-250#. A 300 pound bear is a big bear in mountain states, and by big I mean an internet 400-500#....especially if they've only been out of the den for 6-8 weeks.

Guys that claim #500 bears in the mountains either baited that bear into obesity, have a true freak or probably should not post a pic or go to a check station.

I see a super average color phase bear that if you killed would make a beautiful rug and great story.

OP
fuelthehunt
Beautiful color phase sow. Big butt, fairly short body and a bit narrow on the snout to be a boar in my opinion. Back legs have thin ankles too.

Good to know these traits. I'll be carrying a tag for one no matter what.

If you can see the front ankles, if they are thin you are very likely looking at a sow. I can't see the fronts well enough to tell. A decent boar has a +4-3/4" wide front pad (based on tracks in mud) versus most sows with a <4-3/8" track. Sows wrists look quite a bit more petite in a frontal view.