Trail cam goes quiet panic

Does anyone else panic when there traail cam goes quiet for a week? I was pretty consistently getting two shooter bucks. But now I have not gotten them on cam in a week and I am starting to worry.

Anyone else get like that?

Seems to happen every year. We always lose some this time of year but gain a couple when the rut starts - we actually stopped putting cams out before August 1st...

OP
F
Yea still getting turkeys and does this week.

no I haven’t been in since mid oct and don’t plan on going back till opening day. They are all cell cams

Drenalin

WKR
Gotcha. Were the bucks coming in together before It went dark? Could just be bachelor group breaking up, or a food source shift. Are acorns dropping there yet?

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
I always move my cameras around. Summer is usually food sources and trails from bedding to food or water if dry... once season gets closer they go over trails closer to bedding than food and scrapes.... gotta move em

LostArra

WKR
For me trail cameras are primarily entertainment and a little scouting. The last two nice bucks I've arrowed were never seen on a camera beforehand. I'm happy to get a bunch of doe pics because I know they will have visitors during the season. I wonder if fooling around with cameras messes up a spot more than it helps although the cell cams are nice but I don't have any.

B.murphy

FNG
For me trail cameras are primarily entertainment and a little scouting. The last two nice bucks I've arrowed were never seen on a camera beforehand. I'm happy to get a bunch of doe pics because I know they will have visitors during the season. I wonder if fooling around with cameras messes up a spot more than it helps although the cell cams are nice but I don't have any.
I also think you can “over work ‘an area with camera traffic, I like to look early in the summer and by sept,I’d rather stay out of my area, no cell coverage where I hunt so those cameras are out of the question

OP
F
It is what it is at this point all my stuff is set up. I know they have to be in the “area” hopefully they come back around when I am in the tree

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We had that happen with a bull. He was in the exact same spot he had been in. Just hadn’t been getting water in the same spot where we had the cam!

Huntnnw

WKR
my target buck was a daily to every other day visitor until Aug 23rd. now he doesnt show for up to 7 days then is there every day then leaves again

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Trail cameras are really nice and can give a person a ton of information. That being said, it is amazing how many deer they do NOT get pictures of. I know when I am hunting I make sure to count the number of deer I see and then later when checking the cameras see how many of those deer I got pics of. Its a very small percentage. I would say to not get too worried about deer not being on camera or only being on once a week, because I will almost guarantee you that if you have one pic per week they have been by there more times than that just didn't happen to go in front of the camera

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
Every season, it seems a significant shift happens in September. Im guessing the bachelor groups break up (hard horn) some, food shift, weather change are among the factors. Paging Dr Jeff Sturgis...

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Patterns change, food sources change.... I have differt bucks show up.... and dissappear all the time. I use cameras for both entertainment and scouting as well. This weird looking buck showed up just yesterday.... never seen him before.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200914-171109_SPYPOINT.jpg
    Screenshot_20200914-171109_SPYPOINT.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 40

wesfromky

WKR
I think they are good for strategic and inventory uses, as well as entertainment, but not so much for tactical decisions. The best use is historical data from prior years. Knowing that bucks generally cruise a particular travel route pre rut is more useful then know where a given buck might have been last week.

Trail cameras are really nice and can give a person a ton of information. That being said, it is amazing how many deer they do NOT get pictures of. I know when I am hunting I make sure to count the number of deer I see and then later when checking the cameras see how many of those deer I got pics of. Its a very small percentage. I would say to not get too worried about deer not being on camera or only being on once a week, because I will almost guarantee you that if you have one pic per week they have been by there more times than that just didn't happen to go in front of the camera

What cameras do you use? It seems some of mine miss a lot (Stealth) and some dont miss much (Browning, spypoint).

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
What cameras do you use? It seems some of mine miss a lot (Stealth) and some dont miss much (Browning, spypoint).
Haha well I run almost all stealth cams. I was referring more to the fact that most deer just don’t go in front of the camera, not that the camera doesn’t take a pic of the deer when it does. I have actually been fairly pleased with my stealth cams but will definitely look into browning and spypoint