Trail Cam Lock & Photo Viewing

treillw

WKR
Just got my first trail cam. Stealth Cam STC-XV4X. Any suggestions on a lightweight way to lock it up? Don't feel like carrying much of a steel cable around while I'm packing in camp.

I was thinking of getting a memory card adapter for my phone to view the pictures. Is that a good way to go? Any better methods?

Thanks!

Rokwiia

WKR
Congratulatons on the new trailcam, You're going to really enjoy it.

I like to get in and get out of trailcam locations so when I go to one of my trailcams (all Stealth Cam), I just pop out the MicroSD card and and put in a new one. Small investment but it works for me. I check the card at home on my computer. Your solution of the adapter and phone works just fine.

The security issue is a tough one. I've explored various options as well and didn't like the idea of a steel cable. It is easy to see and draws attention to it. My solution was to either put it up in a tree, where a perpetrator would have to work to get it, or to camouflage the trail cam. I chose the latter.

Ahead of time, I locate the tree I want to put it on then remove bark from a dead and down tree of the same species. Akin to "match the hatch" in fly fishing. Then I glue up pieces of bark and camouflage the unit. It's not a perfect solution but the best one I could come up with. If you're not interested in getting night-time photos or videos, you can also cover up the IR emitters with bark and camouflage the trailcam even more.

Here 's a picture of two I put on pine trees. I took the picture of one on a chainsaw bear to see how it looked. It's easy to see the trailcam on a light-colored wall at home but darn near impossible to see once it's up on a tree. I also replaced the StealthCam straps with brown straps and then add bark to them as well.

Attachments

• StealthCam 4K.jpg
    StealthCam 4K.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 17
  • P1030129.JPG.d039b2e814036c9eb76f1e3a067ebd17.JPG
    P1030129.JPG.d039b2e814036c9eb76f1e3a067ebd17.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Chris F

FNG
I'm using a memory card adapter. It lets me view photos on site and make realtime decisions whether on animals in the area, and on positioning of the cams.