Trail Cam Locks: Worth it?

Felix40

WKR
I found a water hole a couple miles in this week. It had a locked camera on it but someone had taken mud and covered the lens of the camera. I am going to stick a camera up there too but will put it 10-15 feet up to hopefully avoid that. Sucks you have to worry about it.

BrentH

WKR
I used to think locks were a must until I realized how easy it is to break a python lock using just a stick you pick up off the ground. Also most cams with the thru hole, the plastic breaks easily. I’ve had 5 cameras stolen/broken. Two of them locked and two of them not. One of the locked ones was returned (broken) after the guy tried to delete the pics of him off the memory card. I was able to recover the photos, ID him (local kid), and make him buy me a new camera.

Long Cut

WKR
Buy cameras with pin codes.
Yeah they got the SD card, a strap and a paperweight without the correct pin.
I always say, if you steal one of my cameras, you earned it.

Rokwiia

WKR
My Stealth Cam 4K went missing during hunting season last year. My mistake for having out there then. That said, your suggestion of a PIN code is a good one.

I used it in that trail cam and all my cameras so at least I have the satisfaction the crook can't benefit from his criminal ways. It would almost be poetic justice to be the proverbial fly on the wall and watch his experession when he turns it on and goes to use.

fatlander

WKR
I use cheap cams. They’re basically disposable to me. Anything I’m planning on leaving in the bushes for an extended period of time is. Same thing goes for heavy steel treestands. The only thing people won’t steal in the woods are things that you bring in and out every time. Then they’ll just steal that from your truck/home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddy1994

FNG
If someone wants your cam they will get it.... best luck i have had is keeping them out of peoples sight. I like to hang mine 10-15 feet up using climbing pegs.

Cornbore

FNG
Take the strap off and replace with a small wire, way less visible to thieves. I don’t use locks to much hassle and determined thief will still get your cam.

wthunter

FNG
I have Browning Strike Force cams and use python locks. I figure a camera is just too easy to steal and hike out. The only cameras I've had stolen are ones that are not locked. One time I had a camera that was locked and they tried to twist it off the tree. Had it not been for the lock, it was surely gone. I realize someone could come back with bolt cutters, but I try to avoid the 'crimes of opportunity'. Aka some random dude walking through my farm who likely will never set foot on it again. I figure they would be too lazy to go get bolt cutters and come back.

Also, I purposely don't lock the SD card compartment. If someone is caught trespassing on the camera, I figure they might just take the card instead of coming back to cut the lock off and steal the entire camera. I have one neighbor who has had several cards stolen, but they leave the unlocked cam. He has people sneaking on his place to fish. By not having the card compartment locked, I think it saved his cams.

johnw

FNG
One swipe from a bear takes the camera right off the python lock (see photo)...I imagine a human could do something similar if they wanted. I always use the python locks but am going to start with some bear boxes.

Attachments

• IMG_395EC79BE863-1.jpeg
    IMG_395EC79BE863-1.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 19

tracker12

WKR
I have neve had one stolen using the python lock but did have one smashed. Funny thing kid was so stupid he didn't realized I had his picture since he didn't take the card. Only stolen cam was no secured.