Trail Cam Pics/Return to Whitetail Hunting

eamyrick

WKR
So after 4-5 years I wore a Central Texas farmer down who is letting me lease a piece for whitetail hunting. I was born and raised in MS and moved to Texas 12.5 years ago and all but gave up on whitetail hunting due to the difficulty and price of leases. Growing up anyone would let you hunt and we would always plant a small food plot at my grandad’s place. No feeders, no trail cameras.

The area has low hunting pressure and is mostly in ag. Bought some feeders and stands on Craigslist and buddies loaned me cameras. I’ve been taking my 6 1/2 year old out and he loves checking the cameras. First check and I got some good pictures. Let me know what you think of this buck (age?).

9E0D6E50-D32B-455E-AD8B-F34737E0501E.jpeg8B962A59-354D-47CC-9405-43811B100064.jpeg

Glad you were able to find a place.

From the first picture, I'd call that deer standing broadside 2.5 yrs. He doesn't have much drop in his belly and his back line is straight with no dip. He does appear to have a little more drop in his chest. But his neck is still pretty lean.
Fairly good deer antler wise, but given his young age, I'd let him see another year. Has some serious potential. But that depends on your goals.

I've had this article from QDMA bookmarked for several years.

qdma-deer-aging-poster.jpg

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome back to the game. I don't know how you Texas guys age those pencil neck whitetails down there but he looks like a shooter to me!

Elk-Nubi

FNG
Short-term and long-term question. On private land, we let ones like the broadside one age a year and hope that neighbors don't get him. My family in South Texas uses the double-high fences and do not lose many animals to neighbors. Interested in what you see year by year.