Trail Cam Suggestions

treillw

WKR
Never looked them. Guess it's time I break down and buy one. What brands are the best? Any must have features?

I'll be using it in MT, so it can't email you the pictures automatically to be legal during season. Also having a battery that holds up in frigid temps would be a plus.

Thanks!

JLH208

WKR
Browning, Bushnell, Covert and Stealthcam. If I could only have one it would probably be Browning. Picture/Video quality is most important to me, followed by durability and ease of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
How are you going to use it....day or night or both? Movie or still shots?

I just want it for scouting purposes basically I guess. I would imagine that would mean I'd just need photo capabilities. I don't really need epic pictures and videos, I just want to know what is going through places and when.

It might be cool to throw the video up for a carcass though. I'd imagine the memory card would get filled pretty quickly with video of birds.

What would you say is best for scouting?

Smtn10pt

FNG
If I was putting them on public land and just wanted to take inventory, and didn't need awesome pictures I'd get a pile of the primos proof cams. Ive seen them for under 50 bucks, and they take OK pictures...plus when they get stolen you aren't out as much as a premium camera.

Nerhunter

FNG
Browning-6 battery models, cheap Spypoints and now trying out highly rated Apeman brand from Amazon—$50 is worth a go, gets great reviews!

TreyPound

FNG
Ultimately, reconyx is the best most reliable. At a significantly reduced price point, I've been happiest with older model Coverts followed by Brownings. For me, reliability is most important.

bejayze

FNG
I like the browning strike force cams, can get them pretty cheap, sometimes you can find a deal on refurbished ones on ebay for around $50

I just use cheap stealth and wildgame innovations because mine are all on public land. I would rather have (4) cheap cameras out than one expensive one. All mine use AA batteries, I’m not aware of any batteries that might survive the montana weather better.

K

Kootenay Hunter

As mentioned above, balance quality with quantity.

The 'best' is the one in the right spot! I started with an expensive, top of the line one 5 years back and was always worried it would get ripped off. I've now opted for 2pk stealth cams on sale. the only thing that has been an issue is the trigger is a bit slow, but all cameras have good resolution nowadays. Battery life has been over a year.

I'd consider mid-range cameras and get half dozen opposed to just having one awesome one that costs 3x as much.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure the OP already made a decision but I’ll give my thoughts in case others are using this for research.

I have a couple of Reconyx cameras. One had an issue, but I sent it in and they fixed it free of charge. Other than that they’ve worked fine. That said, I won’t be getting another one. The newer one I have has the lock going around the entire front so you have to unlock it to get your card out. What a pain. Add to that, I don’t find the picture quality to be particularly amazing. For the price I don’t think you’re getting much extra.

I just got a Browning Dark Ops HD Pro X and have been using it for a little over a month. At less than half the cost of the Reconyx I’ve been impressed. Super quick trigger speed, and I like the viewing screen. It has also performed well in some pretty extreme temperatures where stealthcams I’ve had in the past would’ve been grainy

I have had 2 Stealth Cams in use for 3 seasons. The picture quality is poor, but for the most part that is inconsequential. I simply want to know what is moving and when. To that end they have been great.