trail cam tech help aka "things i wish"

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
been running a lot of different brand cams for a few years now,,,,

i usually get at least 5000 pics of cows and horses. does anyone know a quick way to skim thru pics,,,so far i have just benn opening up the stock microsoft photo viewer and tapping the arrow key... takes forever.

also,,,have been lugging around my 1970's laptop to download pics onto from cams,,, very heavy and also takes forever to download. after a 6 mile, 8k elevation hike the other day with it in my pack,,, i am kinda over it.. gotta be a better way. i have a surface pro with a usb port but that thing has such a lame operating system,,, it also takes forever,,,, anyone know a good tablet, lightweight, with enough ram and memory to do the job right,,,,or have a different system.

some might say to just have a spare sd card and switch it out... the downside there is that if i go way back in somewhere,, i like to view the pics,,,i may need to pull the cam or reposition it somewhere else,, and it is not great to get all the way home to look at pics,, only to thing "gee, i wish i hadpulled that so i don't have to go hike back in there"

i bought a stealth sd card reader that plugs into my lightning port on my iphone,,,sadly,, like most stealth products,, it doesn't work worth shit. (ahem,, q series and p series cams)

what is best and fastest way to download sd cards out in the field (hiking) and we are talking lots of gb's,,, and also a good way to view them out in the field fast. if you don't want to give up any cool info,, feel free to pm, i used to work for the cia so i know how to keep a secret.

recent cam pic for your amusementSY_00579.JPG

I use a digital camera to view the pictures on my card right at my camera and also when setting the camera up to make sure it’s positioned correctly. I scroll the pics and if I’m seeing game animals I’ll just replace the card and reset it and move on.

Jimss

WKR
If a trail company came up with a portable hard drive that could be used in the field with a small screen that accepts SD discs they would make a pile of $ off them!

As me tioned above, I've used my digital cam to look at pics. If there aren't any good photos I set the SD card back in the trail camera, delete all the photos, and reformat the card. One of my digital cameras it didn't work so it may be trial and error.

They may a couple iPhone SD card readers that you set up to your iPhone. The orange one I got from Bone View doesn't work and I need to return it. I found out it got horrible reviews after I bought it! Moultrie and others may be a lot better. You can save photos to an Icloud account with some of these readers. Another possibility would be a small tablet with an SD port. If you have a portable hard drive that plugs into a laptop or tablet you can save your pics/video that way as well.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I view all of mine on an iPad, using the Moultrie reader. The screen is big enough on the 10.2 that it doesn't take long to go through a couple thousand pics.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04