Trail camera strategies

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
what are some strategies you guys use when wanting to run cameras in a new area or unit. Try to find a area and set a lot up in a small few mile radius ? Or spread them
Thinner and cover
More country. I kind of like the idea of setting them up more In one area just from the point of getting Up and checking them more regularly easier.

Last edited:

Huntnnw

WKR
if you are really wanting to see whats in a area then attractants such as loose salt with selenium or just trace will give you the most pics.

My hunting is mostly Ozark Whitetail. As mentioned above salt licks work well. However, saltlicks are more likely to be found by other people. I target transition areas with funneling terrain. Obviously a game trail or water hole in one of those areas. I like to place them high and in a place where humans are less likely to find them. I like to place them at a angle off the trail where people would walk by and I would get a walking away shot and I like to use brush to funnel them into a spot for a picture.

In new areas 100-200 acres I usually soak 3-4 cameras on a good trail or a rut funnel/pinch point/saddle for a year before hunting it. That gives me idea on how the deer use the area, how many does, how often a buck might come in. I might do a couple sits out of curiosity, but for the most part I usually have a target animal in another area.

I've been waiting to start placing cameras along river bottoms, put my area has flash floods so frequently that I'd be afraid to drown some cameras. However, I think in the Dakotas, Wyoming, Nebraksa those river bottoms might really help you.

Ajt5110

FNG
Out one SoCal I’ve placed them along the river beds and funneling fingers. We have very little water available out here and so we tend to have good luck near the waterholes very early in the season.

In Arizona, I find the biggest game trail there is near a tank or other water source. I get better more close up pictures than putting the camera on water alone

What's a reasonable number of cameras to setup to get a decent idea of whether there is enough activity in a valley or draw?

I set out 15 cameras on 200-300 acres. Its amazing how many of the deer I see on every single camera and also how many deer we get on camera that we never see in person.

This is so true. I have a 6 cameras strung out over 400 acres of public and and it’s like every camera has its own family of deer that’s never on the other cameras. This same area I’ve had cameras up for almost 12 years and my father in law has a deer camp in the same area. They usually take about 2-3 bucks a year for the 15 guys there, and they have never taken one I had on camera. They become ghosts.

Bonehammer

Lil-Rokslider
New to the trail cam game... When using cams on public land is it best to use locks and place a bit higher angled lower or are the security boxes best?

If you are using trailcameras on public land, I suggest using cheap cameras. VERY cheap cameras.