Trail camera tricks

RatMe

FNG
One other question comes to mind is viewing and downloading SD cards out in the field.

I will be traveling out where there is no electricity or internet for miles. Does anyone have a system they use that works where there is no electricity? I can likely use my laptop until the battery dies to download, view. and delete photos.

I noticed that there are iPhone SD card readers that can be plugged in to view or save photos. Also a couple game camera companies make SD readers with a screen for viewing photos/video. Do any of you use these when out in the field where there is no electricity or internet?

also interested is a reliable reader. I purchased a moultie reader That required additional software and was hell to save photos.

must be a better option out there

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
A bear box And cable is a must for us. Besides the occasional bear messing with it, we had much more elk messing with the cameras and moving them to bad angles or even pulling them down. Also had one stolen 1/2 mile from any road or trail.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
I'm curious if anyone has used their regular slr camera to view and delete photos from an SD disk?

I'm curious if anyone has used their regular slr camera to view and delete photos from an SD disk?

I use an older digital camera to view my cards in the field. Works great and last forever on a single battery. Just make sure your camera can read whatever format your game cam writeto the card.

I always use the game camera to format the cards that will be used in it.

You don’t have to use the highest MP setting. They won’t be any clearer. Its a gimmick they use. They get higher MP by digitally adding MP without actually enhancing the photo.

Also if your camera has a sensitivity adjustment usually low or medium works best. High is way to sensitive IMO

Pro953

WKR
The HME arms are great. Mine are ball heads. I use a climbing stick and hang them high then angle them down. Keep them out of view and cuts down on some of the washed out shots.

I have used a old point and shoot camera, a stealth cam reader and also I SD card reader for my I-phone. I like the I-phone option the least. Both the camera and the card reader are pretty bullet proof and I can quickly decide if I like the spot and or if the camera is malfunctioning.

But my #1 tip for public land is, pick good spots and do not check them too often. If you find a great spot and then come back every week to pull cards you are going to create pressure.

If I set a new cam I check it after two weeks. If it’s working well and picking up some action I swap the card and leave it for a month. If it’s not happy I move it to a new spot.

Honestly I have had very little luck having cams to identify a “target” animal but it’s a fun year round hobby and it gives you confidence that the animals are in fact around on those slow days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

also, like some of the guys have said. Makes sure you format your sd card every time you put it in your camera

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
Well I've had a few cams out and I'm still learning! One thing I've noticed in my area is there are a lot of trails. I've tried my best to set up cams in narrow "funnel" areas where several trails come together.

I was wondering if anyone places brush/sticks/logs across trails to restrict movement on trails outside the range of cameras that may channel animals to trails where they will be picked up? Hopefully this change doesn't spook them away from the area.

Ace531

FNG
One other question comes to mind is viewing and downloading SD cards out in the field.

I will be traveling out where there is no electricity or internet for miles. Does anyone have a system they use that works where there is no electricity? I can likely use my laptop until the battery dies to download, view. and delete photos.

I noticed that there are iPhone SD card readers that can be plugged in to view or save photos. Also a couple game camera companies make SD readers with a screen for viewing photos/video. Do any of you use these when out in the field where there is no electricity or internet?

I always have 2 cards for every camera. Just swap an empty formatted card and move on to the next camera (changing batteries and checking the settings as it may warrant). Then you can take your time checking the pictures at your leisure because sometimes when there are a lot of pics to go through, you might miss something the first time around.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
One of the problems with the "switching sd's" senerio is when you live miles from areas where you set up cameras and only check on them every couple weeks. It's nice having something available to view them on the spot so you immediately know if they need adjustments and possibly need to switch locations.

hikenhunt

WKR
When trying out new spots, I've brought a laptop to remote places so I can easily download, view, and delete cards at the spot. Then you can relocate the camera if you don't like what's on it or just replace the same card. Unless your laptop battery is shot, you should be able to check many cameras before it dies.

If I know I like a spot, I will just swap the card and the batteries if needed.

I made the mistake of not securing the cinch strap. Everytime it was windy, the strap activated the camera, as it went by the lens. I had hundreds of pictures of nothing. Lesson learned.

corncob

WKR
When trying out new spots, I've brought a laptop to remote places so I can easily download, view, and delete cards at the spot. Then you can relocate the camera if you don't like what's on it or just replace the same card. Unless your laptop battery is shot, you should be able to check many cameras before it dies.

If I know I like a spot, I will just swap the card and the batteries if needed.

This is why I use a card reader for my phone. It’s tiny, doesn’t require separate batteries, and I don’t have to lug a laptop. I can scroll through the pics quickly to see if I want to move the camera or not, then I take that card and replace it so I can do a detailed review later.

This is my favorite iPhone compatible reader - it’s 1/3 the cost of apples
FA-STAR SD Card Reader, Digital... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744JB6KR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I also have a moultrie one as a backup that has both android and apple connectors, but it requires the use of the iBrary app and it’s a bit clunkier. I keep it in my truck so if i have a friend along with an android we can halve the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntnnw

WKR
all I use is a apple card reader in phone. I never switch SD cards on trail cams, had them malfunction way to many times,so I keep the SD with the cam