Trail camera tricks

Jimss

WKR
I'm new to the trail camera scene and am trying to figure out a few strategies. I was wondering what tricks others have learned over the years that saves SD space, battery life, and takes more photos of game (fewer void pics) and more useable photos? I've set mine up in my backyard for birds and squirrels and learning a few things but could use some expert advice!

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure the camera is turned on before you leave. This might sound silly, but it's like forgetting the plug in a boat, everyone is gonna do it eventually and it's a critical mistake. I leave my camera open while clearing in front of the camera to try take avoid this. Also, clear tall grass and low hanging branches in the camera's view within 5-10'. For deer and other big game, I try to keep my camera height about chest high and slightly tilted downward, but that's just personal preference. If you have it set on a trail, point it up or down the trail vs perpendicular or you'll get a lot of noses and tails if the trail is close to the camera.

I set my cameras to the maximum megapixel setting if applicable, as cards can hold a lot of pictures and you may need to zoom up to see specific items in the photo.

Tick

WKR
Clear the grass and limbs for sure. Find the sweet spot in distance from your intended target for your camera. Sucks looking over pics when you have put your camera either too close or far away.

Cowbell

WKR
Make sure the camera is turned on before you leave. This might sound silly, but it's like forgetting the plug in a boat, everyone is gonna do it eventually and it's a critical mistake. I leave my camera open while clearing in front of the camera to try take avoid this. Also, clear tall grass and low hanging branches in the camera's view within 5-10'. For deer and other big game, I try to keep my camera height about chest high and slightly tilted downward, but that's just personal preference. If you have it set on a trail, point it up or down the trail vs perpendicular or you'll get a lot of noses and tails if the trail is close to the camera.

I set my cameras to the maximum megapixel setting if applicable, as cards can hold a lot of pictures and you may need to zoom up to see specific items in the photo.
This is so true. I do it every year and am pissed at myself after leaving it on an awesome spot for a month.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
Mountain-Live, those are some great tips! I'm always trying to improve and those are some great suggestions. I will likely be gone from the camera for maybe 2 to 3 weeks so was planning on setting a lower mp because I was spooked about the card filling up. I'll have to change to the highest setting. I have 32 gb cards so that's a bunch of photos. I tried 2 photos when triggered and then a minute gap before the next photo. What do you think?

Does anyone use rechargeable batteries? I'm not sure if that's a good or bad idea?

Also, I was wondering if pics are fine or will I miss something having video plus pics?

CorbLand

WKR
Are you running them on salt?

I just pulled my cards, most of my cameras are between 8-12 megapixels. I have 32 gig cards and had about 4000 pictures on each. Didn’t even come close to filling a card up.

Get on eBay and buy one of the green lasers that runs of CR123 batteries. They are like 10 bucks and you can use them to see where your camera is pointing.

If you are running them on trails, set your camera to the fast trigger speed and burst mode it’s got. If you are running them over salt or water, you can slow it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPD350

WKR
If you don't have a lock box make your camera nice and tight to the tree cause there eventually will be a bear walking by and they love to play with cameras, they like to ruin them too!

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Photo delay and multi-shot burst depends on the site and activity. On trails where you may only get 1 glimpse of an animal, shoot a few shot burst every minute or less. If on a bait or salt where the animals spend more time, a few minutes between shots may be fine. I always use at least a 2 shot burst in case the head is moving and a blur on one. I rarely use video because they can be tough to view and transfer from device to device but others may say differently. Trail cams can be used in so many different applications that most answers will probably be a bit different.

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Another thought. I always remove the photos from a card and format it prior to putting it back into the camera because I have had issues with swapping cards from one camera to another without formatting it. Its frustrating to pull a card after a long period of time only for it to say "card error".

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
On another post someone mentioned to take a couple cell photos from the same spot and pointed in the plane as the trail cam. This really helped setting up. I was amazed at how many branches I missed and how I had read the photo angle and direction wrong. It will be interesting to see if my cell photos are similar to the direction pointed and area in the trail cam. I have my fingers crossed it worked!

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a real good spot I'd set 2 I have seen a lot of time cam just don't pick up the movement or misses what's following

SoDak_23

FNG
If it is your land I always bring a weed whacker/trimmer to clear out the tall grass/weeds in front of the camera. Especially in the summer.

They make stand off arms from a company called HRME I think? About $10. If your cameras have a tripod mount on the bottom, these additions make selecting your camera options much more broad and you are a bit more free in the location where you choose make a set.

If using these mounts I prefer to set them as high as I can. Often climbing a limb or two. Gets the cameras out of the normal human eye line if possible. And pointed more directly at the ground, which can help eliminate sun triggers.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
Jesse I did a websearch for HRME and couldn't come up with anything? Sounds like a good way to go! I have my cameras close to the ground. If higher up works better I need to try it! Are there any negatives for setting up higher off the ground?

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
We were sick of getting pictures of elk walking behind trees so we take a lot of time on each set moving deadfall to block paths other than the one we want them to use. Or at least make it more likely that they'll use it. Kind of like when trapping.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
Ha, we also try to put something that will interest a person on the other side of the trail, so they will be looking that way instead of at the cameras. Probably not applicable on private land, but we only hunt public.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
One other question comes to mind is viewing and downloading SD cards out in the field.

I will be traveling out where there is no electricity or internet for miles. Does anyone have a system they use that works where there is no electricity? I can likely use my laptop until the battery dies to download, view. and delete photos.

I noticed that there are iPhone SD card readers that can be plugged in to view or save photos. Also a couple game camera companies make SD readers with a screen for viewing photos/video. Do any of you use these when out in the field where there is no electricity or internet?

Last edited: