Trail cameras

How far off the trail do you set yours up for white tail and how high? I had two set up about 20 yards back and only got me walking away and back in. One of them got a grouse one night but other than that nothing.

Rich M

WKR
Set the cameras up 8 ft+, facing up or down the trail.

On private land you can set em lower. Still try to angle them along a trail so the deer is in the trigger area longer.

Cams have diff sensitivities. If it says 75 ft range, you should assume 50 ft. Deer don't present as heavy a heat or movement signature as people do.

I've had great success w Browning cams.

Rich M

WKR
Also, remember that every time you walk thru the woods you leave a scent streak that is "visible" to the animals for a week or more.

Last year I found a mature buck and had him on cam daily from day after I set it until I checked the cam. He never came back. Saw 5 deer during the 2 mornings I hunted the area. Doe and 4 younger bucks. Shot 2 and filled permit.

OP
skyler_2010
Also, remember that every time you walk thru the woods you leave a scent streak that is "visible" to the animals for a week or more.

Last year I found a mature buck and had him on cam daily from day after I set it until I checked the cam. He never came back. Saw 5 deer during the 2 mornings I hunted the area. Doe and 4 younger bucks. Shot 2 and filled permit.
The only reason they only cooked a week is because I just got them and the manual says they will only take photos down to 14F and the high this week is only supposed to be 3F so no point in leaving them out and I think tomorrow will be the last day I can get out and was hoping to see if there was anything worth sitting for or coming out during shooting light

Rich M

WKR
I understand totally.

Where I come from we get drawn for a quota hunt every other year or so. I use my 3 trail cams to help zero in on critters cause I don't know where I'll be hunting til July and the July patterns aren't hunting season patterns.

Tend to set and check them every other week. Try to access using a route deer aren't crossing. Sometimes works sometimes not.

Hope you can get on one!

Creed28

FNG
We set our cameras 7-9’ an put by our stands. Plus we will take a grape vine an hang it between 2 trees an make a scrape under it. This gets a lot of deer checking out scrape an plus u get a great picture of the deer.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
I do about a 45 degree angle to the travel route at thigh high level this was the second picture of him running so it gives you an idea of the length of time they are in camera view 8B3748DF-17AD-4FA0-90E7-32E7069F68B6.jpeg

OP
skyler_2010
Thanks guys. I kinda figured I was too far back and from what you have said way too high. The one camera should have had atleast a couple different deer on it based on the trail in front of it.