Trail cams being outlawed, thoughts?

Should trail cams be legal on state/blm property?

• Yes

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 173 63.1%

• Total voters

NEWAoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
I suppose you could set cameras in designated refuge areas since you can't hunt them

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip. I was just giving a point of view. Not everybody has the same motives. Next thing ya know nobody will even be allowed on public land but for 3 weeks a year. Plus have to carry probably 3 different licenses. 1 to park. 1 to walk. And 1 if your dog comes with you 🤣

Cowbell

WKR
Nope, especially when the requirements to be able to do it are dumb. In NM, a guide has to work for an outfitter for 3 years before they can even apply for an outfitters license. The hilarious thing is, a 50 year guy cannot outfit a hunt because he hasn't guided for three years, but a 23 year old man-child can because he started guiding out of high school...
And he wears a flat bill. That's a requirement ya know...

I'm all for banning them.

Maybe they can ban Bluetooth rangefinder/rifle scope combos next.

Looks like Boone and Crockett agree, cellular trail cams and Bluetooth rangefinder/scope combos constitute cheating.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
Just returned from some bowhunting up near 4 peaks. Spotted a few cameras here and there.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just returned from some bowhunting up near 4 peaks. Spotted a few cameras here and there.

You know that is one thing that I would not miss if trail cameras went away. I don’t even dare take a dump anymore in the woods. I’m sure I’m being photographed, ha ha Ha.

Seriously a lot of places even where there is no water, I’m walking by trail cameras. It’s amazing to me how many people put them up in just random places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Standard cams I say no, cell cams sure.

I do not use cams out west much, however when I managed properties for guys in the Midwest I ran a pile of cameras and they are extremely effective! I never had an area to run cell cams, service was garbage but those things would be lethal!

You know that is one thing that I would not miss if trail cameras went away. I don’t even dare take a dump anymore in the woods. I’m sure I’m being photographed, ha ha Ha.

Seriously a lot of places even where there is no water, I’m walking by trail cameras. It’s amazing to me how many people put them up in just random places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey @Ross does what he can, but you know he just can't get too far from roads and all.....

I forgot to add the cry/laugh face to ensure everyone knows it's a sarcastic remark.

Can't find those buttons

Sled

WKR
I use cams on my property to see what's around. I don't hunt there so I'll continue to use them. I have once cell cam still out in the public woods and no tags to fill. Guess I'll get it before August next year.

Before I started using cams I was against their use. After I understood them I was better equipped to make a judgement on their use. A couple cameras does not make much advantage other than confidence in an area to hold animals. A fleet of cams constitutes 24/7 surveillance and should be regulated. Just like anything else in this world, the few ruin it for the many and as always, those without the knowledge set the policy.

NEWAoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW NM has pre season limit on when you can enter the unit to scout prior to the hunt. I’m not aware of them enforcing it but it’s there in the regs.
Interesting. Guess id say i was bird watching 🤣

JPM8765

FNG
I am primarily a whitetail hunter and love using trail cameras, and I think they are a great scouting tool for big game. That being said I think that the real time cellular cameras should be regulated.

db.cannon

FNG
The stated purpose of my local archery hunt according to the division:
  • apply hunting pressure to deer and elk to minimize impacts of these animals in urban and agricultural areas;
  • provide additional hunting opportunities for sportsmen and women.
I have run a few cameras and enjoy using them (I have 4 cameras). Never really ran across other guys, as I set "trail cameras" and not "waterhole cameras". I'm in a wetter area of the state, so I don't have issue with them like they do down south. Which is why I was against a blanket ban of all trail cameras. If wildlife across the state are managed differently, I'd think that we could manage hunting/technology differently according to the needs of those units. Those dry units also tend to be harder to draw and thus increase tag demand, hunter competition/conflict, and $$ on the line.

That all being said, I'll be just fine taking down the cameras. I don't think they helped me all that much anyway. They were a great excuse to get off the couch. I'll be happy to know that no one will be running around checking SD cards during season (or getting real time pics texted to them), if I ever draw one of those coveted LE tags down south.

They can pry my 15's from my frozen November hands. Probably going to re-purpose my cameras into extra vehicle security to hunt the a-holes who keep smashing windows at the trailhead.

TLDR: I'm fine with the camera ban. The camera seasons are a good compromise. FWIW I think the bait ban was long overdue.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I guess I am not familiar with the situation out west. If multiple cameras are getting hung by a water source, it does seem like it's getting out of hand. On the other hand, at least you know where you don't want to hunt because people have marked where they plan to be :)

Overall, I'm not opposed to cameras. I use them in the midwest on private land and honestly think they may be more of a detriment to me than an aid. In some cases they have certainly helped me pattern deer, but I'd say more often they cause me to pass up something that I probably shouldn't have (because I'm trying for a bigger one we have a pic of) or make me feel like nothing is coming by a spot (lose confidence) when in reality the deer just aren't going in front of the camera. I only run a few cameras, though, so I could see where it may get abused by people with a lot of them.

FWIW, we haven't had any pictures of almost all of the biggest deer we've ever shot. Of the ones we have had pictures of, the I would only say the pictures helped us on a couple of them..and we probably would've gotten them anyway because we got them in spots we know to be good.

Cellular cameras, on the other hand, I feel provide too much of an opportunity for mis-use, and I'd be in favor of banning them.

Whatever the decision is, I think it should apply both to public and private land.
Some quick finds of AZ cams, same in Utah
c01f5ce8fe1bff5c34a8313596fa9659.jpg
22e0e4f14eecf2e7f700cb81c3ce728b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
in AZ, a few units used to have EVERY waterhole look like this but some where about 4x those pictures. Like anything else, bad apples have ruined it for everyone.