Trail Dirt Bike Honda Crf 250f?

I'm in Santa Clarita and have a few bikes you're more than welcome to try out before you shell out 10k on something you can't ride.....

Mtnboy

WKR
I avoid anything Honda for offroad trail riding. 25 years ago they would have been the best choice, but unfortunately they haven't progressed like the rest of the dirt bike manufacturers.
Also, be aware of the green sticker/red sticker implications in California .
Husqvarna is now Hunkashit after being acquired by KTM,...
Yamaha WR250F would be my suggestion for you....

I think you mean Husqvarna was a hunkashit BEFORE being acquired by KTM, they were complete JUNK for the decade before which is actually the reason they had to be acquired by BMW and then KTM.....

As someone who has ridden and raced dirt bikes at a serious level for 30 years and owned more than 80 bikes covering all the major brands, I just have to laugh at some of the opinions on here. Some of them are comparable to someone who has only ever hunted with Trad Bow giving advice on extreme long range shooting.

CoHiCntry

WKR
In my experiences, if you are going to be trail riding, having both your feet able touch the ground is critical. You will be starting and stopping on side slopes, uphills,downhill,, etc. Trying to peg leg one side or other of the bike is going to get you hurt. You don't need both feet flat, but at least 50% contact on both is the minimum. Custom seats are available for every dirtbike out there and can lower the height by as much as 2 inches and still look oem. Add a professional lowering kit and you're going to be just right.
As mentioned above, setting your sag is paramount.

And 4 strokes don't foul plugs.......

We must have really different riding styles... I trail ride mountain single track most of the time & am almost always standing up. If my feet are hitting the ground, usually something has gone horribly wrong & I’m about to get real sloppy or eat some dirt... usually both 😬. I never rely on being able to touch both feet on the ground at the same time. I suppose that comes into play if someone is riding way over there head & having to Fred Flinstone it to keep it on two wheels?

3forks

WKR
I think you mean Husqvarna was a hunkashit BEFORE being acquired by KTM, they were complete JUNK for the decade before which is actually the reason they had to be acquired by BMW and then KTM.....

As someone who has ridden and raced dirt bikes at a serious level for 30 years and owned more than 80 bikes covering all the major brands, I just have to laugh at some of the opinions on here. Some of them are comparable to someone who has only ever hunted with Trad Bow giving advice on extreme long range shooting.
I agree with this guy.

Some of the “advice”, or opinions expressed on this topic are not just wrong, but dumb.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I really appreciate all the advice. I'd appreciate it, if we can continue to keep it polite. Thanks

sneaky

"DADDY"
I agree with this guy.

Some of the “advice”, or opinions expressed on this topic are not just wrong, but dumb.
If you disagree with someone's advice or opinion, tell what it is you disagree with instead of posting crap like this. A healthy debate helps a lot of people, backhanded smack talking helps no one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I dont ride McCain so I cant really speculate on what the conditions are, but I do ride thousands of offroad miles annually in the Mojave. I think a good pick for you would be the WR250f in the 2015-2018 range. They are "green sticker" , fuel injected with tons of aftermarket support and accessories, very forgiving suspension and easily customized to your riding characteristics. Mine have been absolutely bulletproof with my only complaint being the oem fuel tank capacity was compromised for esthetics. There are aftermarket tanks available...if you feel the need.
Out of kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, honda,, & husqvarna I've owned, I keep going back to Yamaha . Honda is going to be just as durable as a Yamaha, but they really lack in off road performance in my experiences. (Stock configuration)
I'm not a pro rider like others, but I do ride thousands of trail miles annually and do all my own maintenance. My opinions are based on my PERSONAL riding experiences with each brand including full teardowns rebuilds.

Look at a used KTM XC 300 or a Gas Gas trials/ enduro hybrid.
The new two stroke DI bikes are amazing for single track riding. lighter, better power to weight ratio and just fun to ride.

You already have a lot of info and input but I’ll add a little more... the 230 is a very mellow beginner or small rider bike. At your size and fitness level I think you’d get bored on it quickly after you gain some skill. A full height 250 or larger will probably serve you better. As someone else mentioned, you don’t really need or want to be able to sit with both feet on the ground because if you do you don’t have much suspension travel to work with. You can lower a tall bike but once you get comfortable you’ll be fine tiptoeing and learning to lean to one side when you stop. If you’re trying to make your money go further, like most recreational vehicles, there are a lot of used but almost new bikes out there- financing a used one can be harder but if you cash you can find great deals.

5peataz

FNG
Great info on here. I thought I was sold on the Yamaha but might have to look into other options now

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
From a reliability perspective, I prefer the YZ250F's. I've had them since the very first one. Just stay on the bike! I've broke 7 bones in 15 months. Man the new ones with electric start and a customizable power tuner are fantastic.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve packed mannnny out on my ttr 250 yammie, just be sure if gonna be riding technical single track you get good on the skillz as I have see some serious messes and packing a load on it is nothing like riding solo🤙mybrother still rides a honda 200 from the 80s but it simply beats you but will get the job done

Attachments

• 2AAE9EAE-4F4D-43D4-97B3-A47901D55046.jpeg
    2AAE9EAE-4F4D-43D4-97B3-A47901D55046.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 68C65925-FF18-4C53-A434-39E2BBFAC008.jpeg
    68C65925-FF18-4C53-A434-39E2BBFAC008.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 15
OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
the 230 is a very mellow beginner or small rider bike. At your size and fitness level I think you’d get bored on it quickly after you gain some skill. A full height 250 or larger will probably serve you better. As someone else mentioned, you don’t really need or want to be able to sit with both feet on the ground because if you do you don’t have much suspension travel to work with.
Yes, I agree. The problem with tall, 36 inch high seat, bikes for me is getting on and off. At least at the store. I can't swing either of my legs very high. I'm not very limber, even though I stretch and do aerobics. Getting off was hard and my arthritic right hip hurt getting off. Once I'm on a 36 inch seat bike, my 185 lbs settles the bike down and on a crf450l I was flat footed. I could cut the seat down too? So, yes I would outgrow a 230 real fast, probably. Thanks

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I rode mine all over some crappy trails and roads on my Nevada hunt this year. Saved a lot of wear and tear on my truck. Put it on a hitch carrier and took off.
Yes, this what I'd like to do too.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes, this what I'd like to do too.
Seat height on my Super Sherpa is 32.7". I have a 34" inseam and it's ridiculously easy to get on and off of. It's not a raging full blown trail bike, but I didn't buy it with that intention either.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
FWIW... I’m 5’8” & can barely touch both tippy toes on the ground on my current bike. It’s been that way on all my bikes for several years. When I stop it’s usually one foot on the pegs & one on the ground. I guess what I’m saying is, you don’t really need to be able to touch flat footed on the ground when sitting on the seat. Unfortunately throwing your leg over any bike might be uncomfortable due to your arthritis?
It sounds the same with mtn bikes. I can barely touch both tippy toes while seated on my mtn bike. What's very different is I can and do hop off my seat down to the top tube and my feet are flat. Actually I'm supposed to have a couple extra inches. Of course I ride my mtn standing up, unless I'm peddling. It's important that my feet are on the ground when I'm peddling up hill and run out of power and stall. I've caught myself from falling over most of the time. Dirt bikes have gas tanks on their top tubes, so you can't do that. Dirt bikes would be safer if you could be flat footed, but then you would be too tall standing up and the suspension compressed. Being able to put most of my feet on the ground off the seat on rough, steep, uneven ground is what I want being a cautious 58 year old beginner with hip arthritis at least at first.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
The one road I drive my truck on scouting over the summer took over an hour and a half to go like 12 miles. Took 25 min on the bike with pack and all my gear on my back. It was a lot nicer than the teeth rattling ride in my truck.