Trail Dirt Bike Honda Crf 250f?

Billinsd

WKR
I'd like to buy a trail bike to ride in McCain Valley, near San Diego and the Mojave. I'm 58, right hip arthritis, in good shape, 6 ft, 185. I rode small dirt bikes as a kid, Yamaha mx 80. I rode a street bike in my 20s for a couple years. I also mtn bike. I'm looking for tooling around, no jumping, no wheelies. The Honda crf 230f looks good, but crf 250f is probably better. The crf 250f is new, probably not many used ones. If money was no issue, I'd buy it. What's the low down on negotiating dirt bikes and financing? What's your thoughts? How about a cheaper used bike option? Thanks Bill

CoHiCntry

WKR
If you’re buying new... right now is a great time to pick up a leftover (last year’s model). Dealers are looking to push these out for the new ones. Call every dealer in your area & find the cheapest out the door price. I bought a 2019 last year right at Xmas. Called about every KTM dealer in Colorado until I found the best deal. Good luck!

EastMT

WKR
I’m 6’5 and the 230 was too small for me, so the full size was my only option. I originally wanted a TTR 200, but same thing, the saddle was just too low. If the 230 fits you good, you can stand up comfortably without bending way over, it may work fine. I’m so tall I end up with snowmobile risers on my bikes anyway.

I ended up with a CRF 450 and a street legal Wr450. I really loved the ability to ride it to work on nice days, trail ride. I even raced it endurocross. The advantage is to the street legal versions is headlights are already in if you end up in the dark on accident.

I rode the street legal WR about 90% of the time, so I let the CRF go, just didn’t use it.

I used a Honda CT110 for many years hunting and exploring the Mojave desert and San Bernardino mountain areas. Honda currently has the new “Trail 125”, which is similar to my old Trail 110

In regards to Honda’s CRF 250 F, it is not street legal. Many dirt roads and trails require the bike to be plated or street legal. You should consider a dual sport like the CRF 250 L

If you go in to a Honda (or any motorcycle dealership), it’s just like buying a car. They will try to upsell you on things. They have a ”finance department” just like auto dealerships. Financing is generally a higher interest rate than you can get for a car.

I recently gave my Yamaha TTR 250 to my oldest grandson. It is very similar to the 4-stroke offerings from Honda. Mine was not street legal, so I had to ride it in designated off-road areas. It was a great bike for chasing the grandkids on their little Honda 50s. I’ve owned many dirtbikes over the years, for me the 250 was under powered. In the same basic weight range you can have a 450 or bigger.

I want to get another bike for scouting and exploring. If I did I would be looking at a modern KTM, Husqevarna or maybe one of the offerings from Honda or Yamaha. I would definitely want street legal and fuel injection. I would still transport the bike in my truck and would never ride on a SoCal freeway, too many crazy drivers.

Diamond K

FNG
We have always rode Yamaha bikes. Started out with the TTRs but have moved up in performance. My son and I have Yamaha WR 250-Rs and my wife has a Yamaha XT 250. Both bikes are street legal and fuel injected. The XT 250 is air cooled and the lightest of the two. The WR 250-R is water cooled and the better of the two in my opinion. We ride a lot in the Colorado Rockies and they serve our needs. My son bought his new but my wife and I found used, low mile bikes. The WRs have a great record for dependability and it isn't uncommon to read of 100,000+ mile bikes still on the trails.Colorado 2015 056.jpg

Last edited:

bpurtz

WKR
I think there is a lot of demand for certain used models - if the new CRF250F is over budget, you might look around for XR250R or CRF250X - both are super reliable.

Fullfan

WKR
I have a crf230. I use in the western states to elk hunt. Had to put a small led light bar for coming out after dark. I’m 5’ 10” 180. The bike is small and can be easily handled. Only thing I do not like is the seat. It is narrow and very uncomfortable. Bike is very quiet and can climb steep hills well. The electric start is nice also.

Elk97

WKR
You (OP) didn't mention hunting so maybe you wont' be using it for that. But if you are you might consider something with a lower seat height than the CRFs. I've found that hauling heavy meat loads out on the higher bikes is really unstable, especially if it's at all muddy. Having a lower seat height allows you to kind of walk the bike through rough or rocky sections of the trail. Something like the Yamaha TW 200.

We have always rode Yamaha bikes. Started out with the TTRs but have moved up in performance. My son and I have Yamaha WR 250-Rs and my wife has a Yamaha XT 250. Both bikes are street legal and fuel injected. The XT 250 is air cooled and the lightest of the two. The WR 250-R is water cooled and the better of the two in my opinion. We ride a lot in the Colorado Rockies and they serve our needs. My son bought his new but my wife and I found used, low mile bikes. The WRs have a great record for dependability and it isn't uncommon to read of 100,000+ mile bikes still on the trails.View attachment 236899
Rode the girlfriends WR250F today, nice bike, easy to ride but plenty of power. Just picked up a 426 for myself, hoping to have it rideable by next weekend.

def90

WKR
You can get an older used Honda XR250 for around $1200-1500. They have strong 4 strokes with a ton of low end torque that will get you anywhere you need to go and will last forever.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I bought a Kawasaki Super Sherpa earlier this summer for my Covid project bike. Air cooled, single cylinder simplicity with a 6spd transmission. It is hard to find one, and even harder to kill one of these things. Street legal, gets about 70mpg, low seat height. Lots of guys put 300 big bore kits in them if they want more power, but for a tooling around bike they're pretty cool as is. They stopped importing them in the US in 2009, but they still sell them everywhere else in the world so parts are available. I rode mine all over some crappy trails and roads on my Nevada hunt this year. Saved a lot of wear and tear on my truck. Put it on a hitch carrier and took off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I avoid anything Honda for offroad trail riding. 25 years ago they would have been the best choice, but unfortunately they haven't progressed like the rest of the dirt bike manufacturers.
Also, be aware of the green sticker/red sticker implications in California .
Husqvarna is now Hunkashit after being acquired by KTM,...
Yamaha WR250F would be my suggestion for you....

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I got on a crf450l and klx300r that have about 37 inch seat height. Only with the salesman holding the bikes and me climbing over on the foot peg. Pulling my arthritic right hip off to get off, painful and difficult. However, while seated my feet were almost flat on the 450 and mostly flat on 300. Definitely too tall bikes by an inch or two.

CoHiCntry

WKR
FWIW... I’m 5’8” & can barely touch both tippy toes on the ground on my current bike. It’s been that way on all my bikes for several years. When I stop it’s usually one foot on the pegs & one on the ground. I guess what I’m saying is, you don’t really need to be able to touch flat footed on the ground when sitting on the seat. Unfortunately throwing your leg over any bike might be uncomfortable due to your arthritis?

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Any of the 4 stroke bikes are probably fine these days. I bet you would have to have a spark arrester in the exhaust. Years ago I wouldn't trust most of them and just say get a Husqvarna but all of the major companies have great bikes.

One bit of advice, it was stated above. Have them adjust the sag on your main suspension spring and let them know you may be hauling an extra 100 lbs. the 250's should be fine with your weight. If you break the 200 lb mark the 450 will be more appealing. As always , bring extra spark plugs, they love to foul out when hunting.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Unfortunately throwing your leg over any bike might be uncomfortable due to your arthritis?
I have arthritis in my right hip. It's not so much that it's painful throwing my leg over, it seems like my leg is too short. My inseam is about 29 inches, so a 36 plus high seat is hard for me to get my leg over.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I am able to swing my leg over a 36 inch seat if the kickstand is down and I step on the left peg. I'm used to riding a mountain bike with the seat up that I can barely touch to ground and when I'm on the bare the standover is almost nothing. I don't like the standover on that bike, but otherwise I like it. A dirt bike is different. I'm probably going to get a 34 inch seat and possibly buy a taller bike later.

In my experiences, if you are going to be trail riding, having both your feet able touch the ground is critical. You will be starting and stopping on side slopes, uphills,downhill,, etc. Trying to peg leg one side or other of the bike is going to get you hurt. You don't need both feet flat, but at least 50% contact on both is the minimum. Custom seats are available for every dirtbike out there and can lower the height by as much as 2 inches and still look oem. Add a professional lowering kit and you're going to be just right.
As mentioned above, setting your sag is paramount.

And 4 strokes don't foul plugs.......