Trail Etiquette Dispute results in arrest

Backyard

WKR
The San Juan country sheriff is not happy with the damage that ORVs are causing to the alpine tunrdra. Rumor is is that the FS and the BLM are just as displeased with these user groups impact.

9e7911801103270c0c0dcbd8124e9660.jpg
This is nothing short of pathetic.

That sucks. I hate to see the landscape destroyed like that. The passes and the Loop around Ouray are some of my favorite places in the US. If they continue it allow all the OHV use, they need to get better staffed and be able to regulate. Atleast in the more popular heavily trafficked areas.

I know some won’t agree, but we need to let the whole Covid thing go. Get kids back in school. Parents all back to work. All the “benefits” from the gov stopped so people are forced to return to work. Get everything opened back up and return to a normal life. This huge uptick in people flocking to the outdoors in droves started with everything being shut down and kids out of school since early March.....combined with the fact that a high percentage of people that were out of work were making more on unemployment than they did working so they had extra income and nothing but free time on their hands. I’m not in anyway saying that the outdoors is only for certain people to enjoy. It’s just become the “cool” thing to do these last several months.

Wrench

WKR
Interesting. Around the northwest the downhill traffic has the right of way.

Imagine telling a log truck to stop in a hurry coming down.....ain't happening.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider

I don't know how you all do it in Washington, but in Idaho, uphill has the right of way. If there's one thing a trucker hates worse than stopping on a downhill, it's starting again on an uphill.

I don't know how you all do it in Washington, but in Idaho, uphill has the right of way. If there's one thing a trucker hates worse than stopping on a downhill, it's starting again on an uphill.
I was always under the assumption this was an international etiquette. Uphill has the right of way.

boom

WKR
as a tacoma driver, i would have just followed him until his jeep broke down. :)

and seriously, there are Dicks in all States.

Yes...I was really confused when I started reading this thread.....and good luck getting a loaded truck to back up hill for you.

Why is backing downhill a safety concern?? LEARN HOW TO DRIVE.
These roads were built for log trucks....

boom

WKR
damn.. that guy is probably gonna do some time, right? assault charges?

effen stupid!! people have gotten nuts..even the toyota guy..if the jeep wasnt gonna move..why get out? i wouldnt even engage.

Backyard

WKR
So, I'm not arguing or questioning either way in asking this question; why is backing up said to be easier than backing down? Thus making it the general law that I also respect.
This is a legit question so don't go bashing me.
The stopping and getting started on a hill argument holds no water as the guy backing up has to stop his forward progress, put it in reverse, then start again also.
I grew up on a farm so I'm no stranger to backing a trailer in crappy situations, up or down hill.

Gobbler36

WKR
The backcountry roads this summer have been unbearable with ******* CA city dwellers in their suburuins and trendy sprinter vans that have no clue how to drive a 2 way mountain road, and not to mention the roads are washboarded like a sob. Not to mention the many many pounds of trash my family and I have removed from turnouts and camp areas. I’d say all etiquette is gone
covid has ruined the outdoor exclusivity this summer. We’ll see how the fall goes

So, I'm not arguing or questioning either way in asking this question; why is backing up said to be easier than backing down? Thus making it the general law that I also respect.
The stopping and getting started on a hill argument holds no water as the guy backing up has to stop his forward progress, put it in reverse, then start again also.
I grew up on a farm so I'm no stranger to backing a trailer in crappy situations, up or down hill.

This is me also.

Guy with trailer always has right of way. If both have trailers, whoever can get backed or pulled over will do so. I have never given any thought to right of way with vehicles with no trailers.....maybe why I have been flipped off by so many non res plated cars this summer.

Azone

WKR
The guys I'm refering to wouldnt know a pipeline if it ran through their front yard.
No they wouldn’t. They’re too busy doing shit like this when they’re not sitting at Praxair or Airgas swapping war stories with other frauds. 43223362-129F-4DE5-A6A3-DBFEFAF3ADA2.jpeg

Backing up makes it harder to stop, your breaks are proportioned to give more power to the front breaks. Add in incline and the weight distribution removes weight from the front axle and adds it to the back, when driving up hill. Then add in steering. A vehicle on an uphill that has to stop and reverse has a way better chance of loosing control than the otherway around. You make it a rear steer vehicle that is way more likely to lock up the brakes on a steer axle. Put a trailer behind it and it's way bad news.

Also a momentum thing to it, in really steep terrain.

@Backyard

@black dawg

OP
P

Poser

WKR

Fatcamp

WKR

On nice flat ground? Have you spent time backing up and turning around on steep roads? I'm guessing not because if you had you would realize they are waaay different animals.

Backyard

WKR
If that’s correct then, with all the extra weight put on the front of the downhill vehicle, one would have a hard time backing up hill without spinning the tires and getting stuck. Add in pushing a trailer up hill in reverse as well? That’s what I have a hard time understanding as the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that’s correct then, with all the extra weight put on the front of the downhill vehicle, one would have a hard time backing up hill without spinning the tires and getting stuck. Add in pushing a trailer up hill in reverse as well? That’s what I have a hard time understanding as the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's difficult as well, but a better option than the other. Your not going to get stuck trying to backup tho, you will still be able to drive forward.