Trail Runner / Light Hiker Recommendation and Fit

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
Hi there - I’m looking for a new extra light hiker or trail runner for the summer, regular hiking, early season. I’m in Oregon but it’s pretty dry most of the summmer and once it’s wet I plan on switching to boots. I currently have a pair of CrispI Nevada’s which run ever slightly large, and have tried on the Colorado’s and the fit is perfect on me. Just wondering on some recomendations on models and any preference toward fit to the full boots mentioned.

Based on my searches I’m looking at the following:
- Altra Lone Peak 4.5
- Salomon Speedcross - on these does the Goretex matter at all, since they probably aren‘t all that waterproof?
- Salomon X Ultra and Mids
- Inov 8 (300s?)
- Crispi Attiva - all though over $200 for a trail runner seems steep

Thanks for the input!

I’ve been using the Speedcrosses for the las few years and really like them. The goretex version just made my feet sweat so I don’t get those anymore. I buy a new pair every 8-10 months as I wear them completely out, no tread and blow a seam or two. I haven’t tried any other trail shoe, I just stick with what has been working.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve become a fan of La Sportiva shoes and boots recently. Currently have a pair of Blade GTX as light hikers, Bushido 2s as trail runners, and wildcats for everyday wear. I have weird feet and the sportivas really fit me well. They do run a bit small though. I’ve have to go up half a size in all three models.

OP
G

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. Man so many choices. I also saw the Altra Mids and the Salomon XA, which are right in between and seem like good Extra Light Hikers.

Anyone know how the Salomon fit is overall, pretty standard? Can’t try on anything these days, and looking to order online.

OP
G

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I went ahead and ordered the Salomon XA Pro 3d v8, going to give them a try. If a little too much, definitely will try the Speedcross. They sure have appealing prices.

Lawnboi

WKR
Inov8 has some goofy sizing. Different shoes are across the board. I was a fan and still am, but I don’t really buy their shoes anymore since finding altra. If you are inclined the roclite is a good option but be prepared to do some returns to get the right size.

The salomons have more drop than I prefer, they are also a little tighter in the fit and stiffer. Not really a fan.

I wouldn’t buy a low trail runner with goretex or any membrane. It just holds in moisture and water.

I’m all in on altra now. Really like the fit of their shoes with the bigger toe box, and zero drop. Multiple soles to chose from for grip, and a good mix of cushion if you want or need it. The lone peak is an awesome shoe.

All trail runners have the Achilles heel of not being as tough as a boot, I wouldn’t spend the big bucks as trail runners tend to be a one year venture for me, and that’s if I don’t use them off trail.

OP
G

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
Inov8 has some goofy sizing. Different shoes are across the board. I was a fan and still am, but I don’t really buy their shoes anymore since finding altra. If you are inclined the roclite is a good option but be prepared to do some returns to get the right size.

The salomons have more drop than I prefer, they are also a little tighter in the fit and stiffer. Not really a fan.

I wouldn’t buy a low trail runner with goretex or any membrane. It just holds in moisture and water.

I’m all in on altra now. Really like the fit of their shoes with the bigger toe box, and zero drop. Multiple soles to chose from for grip, and a good mix of cushion if you want or need it. The lone peak is an awesome shoe.

All trail runners have the Achilles heel of not being as tough as a boot, I wouldn’t spend the big bucks as trail runners tend to be a one year venture for me, and that’s if I don’t use them off trail.

Cool, yea i'm going to give the Salomon a try, but the Altra is on the short list thereafter. I want to try the zero drops.

I'm testing out the Scarp Mescalito and love them so far. They've got more support than some of the other low tops I've worn, and just the right amount of firmness of sole so I'm not feeling every rock in an unpleasant way.

Also really liked the La Sportiva TX4 I tried on, but chose the Mescalito as it's a bit more supportive.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sold on the fit of the Altras also. I've actually been surprised by how well the Lone Peak have held up, but still, I'll be lucky to squeeze 2 seasons out of them.

RyanC

WKR
I have wide feet and like more room in the toe box than what Salomon offers so I've worn Altra trail shoes the past 3-4 years......Lone Peaks & Timps. The new Timps (Timp 2) are quite a bit more narrow in the toe box than the previous 2 versions. This year I went with Topo Terraventures. So far I've put close to 80 miles on them and the more I wear them the more I like them. Great toe box, fit well through he midfoot and the heel locks in well. If you want the same fit but a little more cushion look at the Ultraventure.

Scrappy

WKR
I have the Nevada's and they fit my feet perfectly. I picked up the salamon speedcross non gtx and they fit perfectly as well. I chose the non gtx so they will dry out quicker.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm not a hunter but am a backpacker. I've used low-top trailrunners for years when backpacking. The weight I carry will be less than your hauling of meat but in late Fall it can be all I want to handle.

My choice has been INOV-8 and have used them since they began selling trailrunners. Currently using the 315 model along with their mid-top 325. Just ordered the 345 with Graphene and will be interested to see how they perform.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I've hauled meat while wearing the Lone Peaks. On trail it's fine. I think really rocky terrain might suck simply for the protection that you get from a full leather boot. Trekking poles are really essential IMO either way. I keep my heavy duty hikers in the truck in case I feel a need to switch for the second or third trip.

*zap*

WKR
I use Merrill Trail Gloves original gen. Trail hiking, road walking, @ work and trail hiking weighted ( up to 30# so far but I just started using them for that a few weeks ago. Lots less heel strike, much more mid foot placement and works my knees/hips/ankles more which is good. For actual hunting and carrying a pack I think I would stay with light non gtx boots that have minimal drop from heel to mid foot.