Trail runners for backpacking???

mtbshark

WKR
Hey all i am curious about the use of trail running shoes on the trail instead of hiking boots or shoes?

which ones do you use and why?

thanks

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have hiked and backpacked quite a bit in Salomon XA Pro 3D's, and been very happy with them. For off trail hiking in swampy terrain or for crossing lost of creeks, quick drain sneakers have been a better solution for us then trying to keep our boots dry. Just plan to have wet feet in the daytime, and bring a dry pair along to wear in the tent at night. We do use super feet insoles to make them a little stiffer and more supportive.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks Becca,

so you guys dont rock the gtx version?

No, gtx as far as I know is goretex, which takes way too long to dry out. The XA pro 3Ds drain really quickly, and dry out in a few hours...assuming you aren't back in another creek or swamp like we usually are :)

Eagle

WKR
I've used Inov-8 X-Talon 212's for the last two years and been very happy with them. Extremely light, and great traction.

For those of you rockin the trail runners, do you ever worry about not having enough support when packing out heavy loads? I would for sure understand them for summer scouting and long treks, but when I have a chance of packing out meat I would think that something with some more support would be the smarter option.

Mike

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
My feet feel better in hiking boots over anything else, even running around town i prefer hikers over tennis shoes, no way would my feet feel good after a day of backpacking with a lightweight shoe. I was shooting the local 3-D coares yesterday and i had on my hiking boots and this 8 year old amish kid came running by me barefoot on a crushed limestone pathway, guess i got wussy feet. lol

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For those of you rockin the trail runners, do you ever worry about not having enough support when packing out heavy loads? I would for sure understand them for summer scouting and long treks, but when I have a chance of packing out meat I would think that something with some more support would be the smarter option.

Mike

When it comes to hunting and knowing I'll be packing out loads I use boots. I use trail runners all summer to beef up my feet strength. That way when I get my stronger feet into a well supported boot I'll be pretty well setup for the heavy loads rather than just hiking in well supported boots all spring/summer. Plus the difference between the boots and the shoes is over a pound per foot so that makes it nice for the summer hiking/scouting/backpacking.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would add that while I prefer boots for heavy loads, I actually think hiking in trail runners builds up the muscle and balance in your ankles and legs better than a more supportive boot. After a recent backpack trip in trail runners, where we sidehilled through scree for several miles, I noticed a fair bit of muscle soreness in the leg that I broke almost two years ago. I think that some of the muscle on that side must still be weaker than on the uninjured leg, and despite lots of hiking in boots, those muscles didn't get much of a work it until I hiked in trail runners. I wonder if trail runners might be a good way to build up strength during the off season, which could in turn reduce the risk of a turned ankle or worse when you wear boots to pack a heavy load...

I don't worry about more "support" from a boot when hauling heavy loads. I am of the mindset that my feet/ankles etc do a good job of support all year, so basically I try to get a shoe that feels comfortable that keeps my foot as close to the ground as possible within practical reason.
If the weather would allow it I would probably wear Five Fingers or something similar all year round.

I don't worry about more "support" from a boot when hauling heavy loads. I am of the mindset that my feet/ankles etc do a good job of support all year, so basically I try to get a shoe that feels comfortable that keeps my foot as close to the ground as possible within practical reason.
If the weather would allow it I would probably wear Five Fingers or something similar all year round.

My feet do a good job of that as well... But the fact is for me, that they are not used to ruckin 80 lb loads on my back. One missed step with that extra weight and its too darn easy to sprain or even break something. I'm solo quite a bit so that extra risk is not worth it to myself.

Luke and Becca, as always your advice and response is perfect! Makes sense to me and I may look into picking up a pair for next summer possibly!

Mike