Trail Runners/Ultra Runners??

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
Any of you guys in the trail running or Ultra scene?? Gonna be in CO around the end of June and beginning of July for the HR100 in Silverton....anybody else gonna be around??

aggieland

WKR
I have a question. Is that 100miles? And if so is it a team effort or 100 miles ran by each person? I watched the Salomon team on youtube and it looked amazing.

OP
BMB

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
100 miles......one person. I'd have to say HardRock and Leadville are the toughest Ultras in the U.S. Bighorn in WY isn't a joke either. There are some races in Texas, like Cactus Rose outside Bandera, that have a 100mile Relay (4person), but most are run by a single person.

Last edited:
OP
BMB

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
100 miles would be brutal.. I can't even imagine trying to run the damn thing.. Pretty Bad ass.
90%mental 10% physical. it's not as bad as it sounds if you get your mind right, keep to your fuel (food/hydration) plan, and keep a close eye for hotspots. sounds pretty similar to a backpack hunt doesn't it??

aggieland

WKR
Let me ask you an honest question. How far can you Run/Jog without stopping or starting to walk? I ran a lot in High School and was a good sprinter in college but my long distance stamina ended after I finished HS. So now i'm starting to run/jog more but its pretty sad at this point how far I could auctually Run/Jog.. Going to take a few months at least to get things going again.

OP
BMB

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
honestly, the furthest i've continuosly run is 50 miles, if you leave out the Aid Station stops. Rocky Raccoon 50miler. It was an easy flat trail. To go 100 miles, you have to pace yourself and walk the uphills and jog the downhills and flats (if there are any). Most of the endurance runs i do are rather steep with multiple climbs and a anywhere from 2-10K feet in gain/loss over a 100mile course. it's a lot of fun, meet some great folks, and test yourself and see what kind of shit you can truly endure.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running my first ultra this year . I have not been running that long. A little over two years now I have progressed slowly and at the 10% a week like they reccomend and have found that distance running for is one of the best preperations I can do for hunting period... Not that a bike ,hiking, intervals and anytype of cardio will not be enough because it will if your consisitant with it. But the distance trail running with elevation is just plain hard and a really wears on the mind more than anything I have ever doen training wise... Now my ultra is going to be nowhere near 100 miles but it really is about how bad you want it and discipline to push you body....Good luck in the ultra your doing to run race in the rockys will be a long time goal but for now I'm stuck in the cascades---TIM !!!!

OP
BMB

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running my first ultra this year . I have not been running that long. A little over two years now I have progressed slowly and at the 10% a week like they reccomend and have found that distance running for is one of the best preperations I can do for hunting period... Not that a bike ,hiking, intervals and anytype of cardio will not be enough because it will if your consisitant with it. But the distance trail running with elevation is just plain hard and a really wears on the mind more than anything I have ever doen training wise... Now my ultra is going to be nowhere near 100 miles but it really is about how bad you want it and discipline to push you body....Good luck in the ultra your doing to run race in the rockys will be a long time goal but for now I'm stuck in the cascades---TIM !!!!

I didn't get drawn for HR100 this year. Pacing a good friend of mine for 40miles and crewing for him. What race you running?? it's not a miles thing man, i'll give anybody a pat on the back for running any distance, no matter the time or terrain. Half the battle is just to get up and do it.

aggieland

WKR
honestly, the furthest i've continuosly run is 50 miles, if you leave out the Aid Station stops. Rocky Raccoon 50miler. It was an easy flat trail. To go 100 miles, you have to pace yourself and walk the uphills and jog the downhills and flats (if there are any). Most of the endurance runs i do are rather steep with multiple climbs and a anywhere from 2-10K feet in gain/loss over a 100mile course. it's a lot of fun, meet some great folks, and test yourself and see what kind of shit you can truly endure.

very cool..

VANDAL

WKR
I'm turning the corner this year and focusing on trail runs. I usually do 1 or 2 marathons a year but running on pavement for 26.2 is loosing its excitement.

Any recommendations on good trail runs in the 26ish range in ID/UT/Col/WY? I'm more interested in single track and vertical than mileage....and also good high mountain views. I'm leaning towards Leadville.

Didn't get drawn for the HR100 but that looks awesome...hopefully next year.

Thanks

OP
BMB

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
I'm turning the corner this year and focusing on trail runs. I usually do 1 or 2 marathons a year but running on pavement for 26.2 is loosing its excitement.

Any recommendations on good trail runs in the 26ish range in ID/UT/Col/WY? I'm more interested in single track and vertical than mileage....and also good high mountain views. I'm leaning towards Leadville.

Thanks

you think about a 50K??? 31-32 miles depending ont he course.
ID- http://www.runwildidaho.com/
UT- Wasatch 100 ( i know it's a 100miler but i have to list this one. ran it 2 years ago, friggin amazing race)
CO- Leadville, Hardrock, http://runrabbitrunsteamboat.com/index.html
WY- Bighorn (one of the top 4 races in the lower 48)

Lukem

WKR

Thanks

http://www.blackhills100.com/

There's a 50 mile version and is one brutal race. Up and down, all run on the single track Centennial Trail. The 100 mile runners dealt with golfball size hail at about 12 hours in this last year.

OP
BMB

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
i was signed up for Black Hills this year and backed out due to moving constraints....i'm gonna run it next year for sure. the 100miler

Lukem

WKR
You lucked out. I heard the storm was pretty brutal. Everybody I talked to raved about the race though. Tough, but the best way to tour the Black Hills.

OP
BMB

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
You lucked out. I heard the storm was pretty brutal. Everybody I talked to raved about the race though. Tough, but the best way to tour the Black Hills.

the race doesn't run til June??? i'll be in the midst of unpacking and getting my settled in OR.

Lukem

WKR
the race doesn't run til June??? i'll be in the midst of unpacking and getting my settled in OR.

June 23-24. Same weekend as Western States, organizers wanted to give an alternative for people since WS is pretty limited. One of these years you'll have to make it.