Trail Runners

BrentC

I'm currently using salomon XR crossmax1 neutral trails. I like the lacing system that they use and they have excellent grip. The only bad that I can think of is that I need more cushion for the front of my foot but I'm 75" 210-220lbs. I'm going to switch back to brooks cascades since I've only had good luck with my ghost1's that I use for road. FYI I'm no expert by any means I only run to keep my ass in shape and probably say a curse word with every stride.haha

trkyslr

Can't go wrong with either brand.. I have Brooks runners and soloman trail runners mids

tradair1980

I have been trail running with the solomon speedcross 3 and love them they have a ton of support. Before that I had the brooks cascadia and had good luck with them but they wore fast...I have over 300 mile sinto my speedcross's and hardly any sign, And I'm a large runner 6' 195# but I will say that they never see pavement and I think that has helped alot!

BrentC

That might be my prob with the salomons tradair the closest trail for me is pavement, gravel, dirt.

OP
evan williams

evan williams

So i went over to REI today and played around with some new trail runners. I went over to look at the Salomon's and the Brooks' and between the ones I tried the Brooks' fit my feet better. The only thing that got me was the flexibility and "softness" of their footbeds. THEN I saw the La Sportiva WILDCAT. Had the same fit and feel of the Brooks' but a slightly stiffer footbed. :) Pair those with a set of green superfeet and I have a new pair of kicks!!!

Arrowslinger

Montrail Masochist for technical trails and Montrail Bajadas for everything else -plus orange SuperFeet in both. In our shop, the Brooks Cascadia is the category leader by a large margin. Ever try a pair of Hoka's???

Daniel Bybee

I have been using the merrell barefeet, they work great altough I did take a fall a few days ago after stepping on a rather sharp rock. Going to start looking for something else, maybe the montrail or sportiva. In my new issue of backpacker they have a shoe from vasque I may look at also. daniel

bz_711

Love my Brooks PureFlow road shoes...I'd consider the Pure Grit for trail shoes if I become in the market. Good Luck...great fitting and performing shoes are key to enjoying the sport of running...

luke moffat

Administrator
I put hundreds of off trail miles on a pair of Salomon XA 3D Pros, great shoes. I went with Salomon SpeedCross3s on this go round for a little lighter shoe, a LOT more traction and wanted the same lacing system. Overall I like the SpeedCross more, granted I only have about 50 miles on these so far but so far so good. Whatever ya do throw some stiffer insoles in them if you plan on hiking with a heavier pack off trail though.

BMB

depends on what your wanting and your foot. And for the guy that asked about Hoka's, they're a great shoe. I really like the Stinson B Evo's and the Mafate 2's