Trailrunning

Who here supplements their training regimen with trail running? In the off season I primarily lift heavy and try to put on muscle. A couple months before hunts start I’ll begin adding cardio and focusing on leg strength work, both weights and heavy rucking, in addition to my usual workouts. I ask cause there’s a great bow range 20 minutes from me that has some nice trails to run/hike on. Figuring a couple days a week I could run up there after work and shoot for a bit then go for a quick 3ish mile run and shoot a little more after. Thoughts? I’m 23, workout at the gym 5-6 days a week and perform a physically demanding job 8-12 hours a day slinging steel

My thoughts are do it. I started last summer. Definitely in better shape that I was then. I started because constant rain washed out my MTB trails and at the time I didn’t have a road/gravel bike. I do it less now than last fall because of the road bike, but it still whoops me on the hillier trails. I find that if I run on the road with my wife I have a ton more endurance. I’m chubby so the hills kill.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
trail running has several benefits, obviously builds aerobic endurance, but trail running (vs a treadmill or road) also gives your core a good workout, improves balance, works a ton of little accessory muscles, ligaments and tendons as you are constantly dodging rocks/roots/etc, going up/down/sideways

not to mention the mental benefits of running through the woods/prairie/mtns :)

*zap*

WKR
Demanding physical fitness program and demanding physical job = the need for dedicated rest days incorporated into your schedule, versus taking rest days when you feel you need them. If your already running then by all means try trail running, if your not already running I would do some non trail running first. Good luck.

a5sooner

FNG
trail running has several benefits, obviously builds aerobic endurance, but trail running (vs a treadmill or road) also gives your core a good workout, improves balance, works a ton of little accessory muscles, ligaments and tendons as you are constantly dodging rocks/roots/etc, going up/down/sideways

not to mention the mental benefits of running through the woods/prairie/mtns :)

Agreed...Lots of stabilizer muscles in the legs will get worked out on a trail that a treadmill/pavement wont touch nearly as much.

kda082

WKR
I'll chime in as an old guy. Trails although hilly and technical, are way more friendly to my old knees. I can really feel it in my joints when I run on pavement. Trails all the way.

Tempe.243

FNG
We are blessed to have South Mountain Park (PHX) down the road so trail running is a big part of my exercise program. Lot's of elevation change to get the heart rate up. Way better then the blacktop/concrete for 40 plus year old knees.

brmtn

WKR
Trail running is some of the best conditioning there is. Dont forget to stretch too!

Agreed...Lots of stabilizer muscles in the legs will get worked out on a trail that a treadmill/pavement wont touch nearly as much.
I'll chime in as an old guy. Trails although hilly and technical, are way more friendly to my old knees. I can really feel it in my joints when I run on pavement. Trails all the way.
The constant variation in footfall breaks up the repetitive nature and subsequent chronic use injuries that are common in road running.
I can't think of a single injury associated with repetitive use from any of my ultra runners or athletes who regularly trail run.

Last edited:

OXN939

WKR

This. The cumulative impact on your soft tissue is much lower when running trails than pavement. I do most of my longer runs on trails these days.

a5sooner

FNG
Something else that’s a benefit of trail running is it trains your eyes/brain to pick up on obstacles in your periphery while looking up and forward (where the deer, elk, etc. are).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RnnHntr

FNG
As an older (over 60) ultrarunner who started trail running in his 40s, it has worked well for keeping me in shape. Also, when I switched from roads to trails, my knee and ankle issues decreased a lot even as my weekly mileage increased a lot. I have never been especially fast, but after being a trail runner since 2007, I can still finish most 50-mile mountain races in 12 to 13 hours and out work or hike most guys half my age who would generally be considered fit.