Train to Hunt: A First Timer's Perspective

Dan M

WKR
Last weekend I was fortunate enough to take part in the Train to Hunt (TTH) qualifier in Casper, Wyoming. This was not only my first TTH event but also my first 3D shoot ever. I have shot 3D targets at the range in preparation for hunting but never in a competition setting. This was an excellent experience largely due to the efforts of my wife and brother-in-law who came to support me, the entire TTH staff to include the production crew known as High Plains Creative, all the sponsors and of course the other competitors.

There are naysayers in almost everything in life whether it is regarding an innovative idea, sport or product idea. This is no different with TTH. There are people who are skeptical of its validity or of its application towards hunting. I am not one of these naysayers and never have been regarding TTH. My experience last weekend in Casper confirmed for me the validity, application and benefits of the TTH program and competitions. There are several different things that Train to Hunt does uniquely to benefit the hunting community: it changes the perception of the hunting community, serves as a platform for gear validation, enhances physical preparation and develops increased mental toughness.

During the Wyoming qualifier my wife, brother-in-law and I all stayed in a lodge known as the Sunburst Lodge on Casper Mountain only 2.5 miles from the Robert L. Adams Archery Range where the TTH qualifier was held. We were lucky enough to find this lodge online and booked the reservation after confirming its location in relation to the event. We couldn't have been luckier to find such a great facility to stay within minutes of the range, definitely top notch. I bring this up primarily because during our stay I was discussing the event with the lodge staff only to realize their complete surprise that a bow hunter would go to such great lengths to prepare themselves, physically and mentally for the upcoming hunting season. It was never my perception that these people were anti-hunters at all, however when someone mentioned that they would much rather see someone like myself who prepared so diligently for the hunt go after animals with a bow, it became clear that TTH is changing the way people view bow hunters. This person went on to say that they would much rather see prepared hunters go after an animal with a bow, with a lesser chance of an animal being non-mortally wounded and running around with an arrow sticking out of its body. This is exactly what TTH is doing, better preparing bow hunters to hunt and giving them the tools to do it more efficiently, effectively and confidently.

Before stepping out into the wilderness on a hunting trip it's always a good idea to test all your gear. Before competing I gave each piece of gear (bow, arrows, release, pack, binoculars, bino pack and rangefinder) a full inspection to include checking all the Allen screws on my bow and release and also ensuring all excess straps or webbing were properly secured. All my gear has performed better than I could have hoped for; a big thanks to Kifaru International, Alaska Guide Creations, MTN OPS, Vortex Optics and Hoyt bow hunting. Train to Hunt is an excellent way to validate your gear and ensure you are prepared when that animal steps into your shooting lane this Fall.

Physical preparation is crucial to backpack hunting, particular out West in the mountains but it is also extremely important in all types of hunting whether you are in a tree stand, duck blind or hunting upland game. There are some who say that a person doesn't have to be an extreme athlete, physical stud or even have a high level of physical fitness to be a good hunter. This may be true in some circumstances however the one thing that nobody can deny is that having a higher level of physical fitness enables you to move farther distances and hunt longer. Much like backcountry hunting, a high level of physical fitness is required to perform well in a TTH event. There is not one specific type of training that can fully prepare a person for backcountry hunting; a person must use a multifaceted approach to fitness. The TTH program develops the specific aspects of fitness that are most important to hunting and each of these areas is tested in a TTH event. I personally do a combination of TTH workouts, CrossFit, weightlifting, trail running and weighted hikes. An integral part of my physical preparation is centered on nutrition. My nutrition plan is made up of clean eating and supplemented by products from MTN OPS which have truly driven my performance to the next level. I will go into my nutrition and diet in more detail later. By developing my training plan to improve my overall fitness in the areas that are important to hunting I have increased my performance and it has also made it much easier to shoot my bow under stress, physical and mental.

The most significant benefit I realized in the TTH event is the further development of mental toughness. In order to be successful in the TTH events a person must be mentally tough for the physical events alone; however the true test of mental toughness in TTH is when it comes to shooting a bow under pressure. Any person in decent shape can run through a course and do exercises; however this becomes significantly more difficult when asked to do it while making accurate shots with a bow and while under the stress of a competition. In my opinion the greatest benefit TTH provides to bow hunters is the experience of shooting under both physical and mental stress which is very closely related to the actual circumstances that many of us encounter while backcountry hunting.

Train to Hunt is a new and innovative way of preparing for bow hunting and it is also serving as a way to really bring the bow hunting community together. One of the biggest takeaways from my first TTH event was the camaraderie and friendships that are developed in this sport. I was very fortunate to have a great group of guys to shoot with on the 3D course and I was impressed with everyone else at the event. I am really looking forward to Nationals and I'm hoping to see some fellow Roksliders there.

-Dan M.

Last edited:

Manosteel

WKR
Nice write up and it's good that you had such a positive experience but I do believe you over state the balance between the importance of physical fitness and bushcraft/hunting knowledge. First let me state that I believe in being in top physical shape, I train year round with wieghts, various forms of cardio (in addition to jogging with my dog every day) wieght ruck runs etc., and still playing competitive hockey with guys half my age, my FB friends can attest to my level of physical fitness.

However, I equate my success in the woods more to my knowdledge of bushcraft and know how to hunt what I hunt. Yes, I can go farther and longer but one of my childhood friends is just as successful yet just as overweight as your average house cat. What he lacks in physical prowess he makes up for in just plain exclllent hunting instincts and skill. My brother reminds a lot of Luke Moffat - skinny litlle a$$whopper who can haul a house on his back but who does very little training other than working in the Alberta oil sands (Luke I assume you don't workout hardcore for the lack of Cam Hanes type pics on FB lol) Remeber the woods are full of hikers in phenomenal shape who couldn't find and kill a mouse trapped in their closet 

My tip to guys getting into the "athlete hunter" movement is to spend as much time in the woods not just scouting but learning how to just "be in the bush". Trust me animals don't care if you have a six pack or not and if you get stuck in a freak snow storm, being at 10% body fat won't matter.

I am from far a TTH critic, I love the whole concept and
FWIW I plan on heading to the states next year to participate in TTH challenge, but I would hate to see people lose focus on why they are doing them In The first place, as a supplement to the primary purpose of Hunting. Nothing breeds motivation better then success and success in the bush is more than just physical preparation.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dan M

WKR
Nice write up and it's good that you had such a positive experience but I do believe you over state the balance between the importance of physical fitness and bushcraft/hunting knowledge. First let me state that I believe in being in top physical shape, I train year round with wieghts, various forms of cardio (in addition to jogging with my dog every day) wieght ruck runs etc., and still playing competitive hockey with guys half my age, my FB friends can attest to my level of physical fitness.

However, I equate my success in the woods more to my knowdledge of bushcraft and know how to hunt what I hunt. Yes, I can go farther and longer but one of my childhood friends is just as successful yet just as overweight as your average house cat. What he lacks in physical prowess he makes up for in just plain exclllent hunting instincts and skill. My brother reminds a lot of Luke Moffat - skinny litlle a$$whopper who can haul a house on his back but who does very little training other than working in the Alberta oil sands (Luke I assume you don't workout hardcore for the lack of Cam Hanes type pics on FB lol) Remeber the woods are full of hikers in phenomenal shape who couldn't find and kill a mouse trapped in their closet 

My tip to guys getting into the "athlete hunter" movement is to spend as much time in the woods not just scouting but learning how to just "be in the bush". Trust me animals don't care if you have a six pack or not and if you get stuck in a freak snow storm, being at 10% body fat won't matter.

I am from far a TTH critic, I love the whole concept and
FWIW I plan on heading to the states next year to participate in TTH challenge, but I would hate to see people lose focus on why they are doing them In The first place, as a supplement to the primary purpose of Hunting. Nothing breeds motivation better then success and success in the bush is more than just physical preparation.

Manosteel,

Thank you for your insights. My post is meant to reflect upon my first experience with the Train to Hunt Challenge and the community surrounding it. I never discussed the balance between physical fitness and bush craft/field experience that you mention. I will be the first to say that being in excellent physical condition does not make a person a great hunter. However I will say that any good hunter is a better hunter when they are in better physical condition, no questions about it.

Now, the importance of field craft cannot and should not be overlooked. This is a very important aspect of being an outdoorsman and should be practiced at any available opportunity. Clearly a hunter's field craft and experience can have a significant effect on hunting success.

In closing, I also know individuals who may not train hard at fitness and can still perform adequately at physical tasks in the outdoors. I seriously doubt the person that doesn't maintain themselves physically and still puts themselves through extreme physical tasks will have the health or longevity in the outdoors that the healthy and physically fit hunter will have. Just another great benefit of Train to Hunt is building the lifelong healthy habits that will keep us hunting much later in life while others are overweight, injury ridden or otherwise unable to handle the physical exertion.

Thank you for your insight,

Dan M.

Great words Dan, I too have shocked folks with the Train to Hunt mentality of bettering yourself physically before hunting... It is a great event and combines what I feel are the two most important aspects of being a hunter...being prepared to make a variety of shots and to be in the best physical shape one can be to hunt longer and to get the meat out of the field.
Keep up the good work, may see you down at Nationals!