Train to Hunt for first timers

SUMMIT75

WKR
Well I have done the total Archery challenges but was wanting to give a Train to Hunt challenge a shot. Unfortunately I just missed the Ft Worth one and will have to catch another. Anyone done any of these? What does it entail?

My main question is the following: From the videos and clips I have seen it looks like guys are rushing thru there shots when they get to a shooting station. In other words are you being timed or lose time/points if you take long to get thru your shots or is it based on shot placement?

Just curious as a first timer.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shootings a big part , take your time. They have changed scoring but i think it was , perfect shot you subtract time, ok shot your even , on the animal not in ring add time (10,8,on foam) . Miss and your burpee city

• Banned
OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
Shootings a big part , take your time. They have changed scoring but i think it was , perfect shot you subtract time, ok shot your even , on the animal not in ring add time (10,8,on foam) . Miss and your burpee city

See that's what I was wondering about. I would never rush a shot, not in Target, Hunting or any competition for that matter. Not really worried too much about scoring but if it's encouraging rushing your shot, then that kind of seems counterproductive in archery. Archery is not a sport of speed but of consistency and discipline. Kind of hard to practice both when a points system encourages slopping shots together.

I'm still gonna go regardless but all the videos I have seen show everyone shooting as fast as possible and kind of made me scratch my head I guess.

See that's what I was wondering about. I would never rush a shot, not in Target, Hunting or any competition for that matter. Not really worried too much about scoring but if it's encouraging rushing your shot, then that kind of seems counterproductive in archery. Archery is not a sport of speed but of consistency and discipline. Kind of hard to practice both when a points system encourages slopping shots together.

I'm still gonna go regardless but all the videos I have seen show everyone shooting as fast as possible and kind of made me scratch my head I guess.

I think its more about recovery. Being able to catch your breathe after that hard hike up a ridge and put a good shot on an animal. The reason for the penalties on a bad shot is because you rushed it , to discourage bad shots ( burpees suck ) All the shots are pretty short and would be ethical shots, and remember , this is to see what you need to work on before the season comes to make that good shot.

RyanC

WKR
The shot you may be seeing a video of is the "Follow Up" Shot. During the Hunter's 3-D course there is a station with 2 targets. The first shot is not timed...take your time and make a good shot. As soon as you release your arrow you have 10 seconds to reload, draw, and shoot your follow up shot into the second target. This shot is for that scenario when you shot and miss and the animal immediately jumps, takes a few steps and stops giving you a follow up shot. My recommendation......practice this scenario before going to the Train to Hunt Challenge.