Training around the hunt

Gunning5

WKR
Hey guys,

First time hunter, but long time Crossfit coach. I would say my fitness is pretty good, but want to see what are ways ya'll train for the hunt. I started doing longer hikes with my weight vest on to simulate hiking with more gear. What do you guys do?

Thanks!

In preparing for my first hunt last month, I would hike with my hunting pack and 45# of weight 2-3 days a week. I found two steep hills in my area: one was off trail and one was on paved trail. I’d go up and down until I had done 500-750’ in elevation gain. On the paved trail, I’d jog every other trip up. I also made a fake bow out of a tree branch and some extra parts so I could simulate carrying that around all day but not get the cops called on me for hunting out of season.

The other 2-3 days a week I’d run a mile or two and do some calisthenics for core, legs, and upper body. Took one or two days off each week.

The 45# pack weight was really clutch because my actual pack weight when bivy hunting is 30#. When I finally took the extra weight out and went down to my actual gear for the trip, it felt like I was carrying nothing because I was accustomed to the 50% extra weight.

*zap*

WKR
Hike, walk, weighted hike, bike, 5 primary human movement pattern strength/core strength training. Eat good nutritious foods and get plenty of sleep. Walked 3 miles, high bar back squats x 6 sets, bulgarian split squats x 3 sets and seated calve raises x 3 sets yesterday.

Hiking and carrying a light kettlebell can simulate carrying a bow/rifle. You can always put it in your hike pack for part of the way while acclimating to it. 10 - 15 # would be ideal.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I work out year round, with kettlebells, jump ropes, body weight exercises and power lifting, as hunting season approaches I hike more and increase the weight in the pack. It’s always worked well for me.

I live in the area I hunt so I do a scout trip/hike one day, some sort of workout, shoot the next day. I alternate this most days I’m home and not at work. I don’t lift weights (they are heavy and make me tired) stick mostly to body weight and kettlebell work.