Training for sheep hunt in 2021

I have a hunt booked for 2021 in the Brooks Range. This will be my second sheep hunt. Other mountain experience includes elk and bear. Bear hunting was in the WA part of Wenaha. I'm currently between 225 and 230 and 6'3". 4

Cardio has been twice per week for 30 minutes. Lifts have been Legs, Push, Pull, each once per week with core work once per week. Total of 6 workouts per week. I'm lean and strong, but I'm not in mountain shape.

OP
B
I need to drop down to 215 for the sheep hunt, but thinking about holding the 10-15lbs until 3-4 months out to keep my body used to the extra weight.

I plan to keep this routine until this summer. Then combine my push and pull lift days into one day, so I can add an extra day of cardio. 6 months out I will combine push/pull and legs to add a long hike with 30lb pack to get my feet in shape. From there I will increase pack weight and length of hike until my hunt.

Appreciate any feedback on this plan. Please point out any flaws you see.

OP
B
How far from your hunt did you start their program, or more importantly, when do you recommend starting their program. Should I start now... 18 months out?

How far from your hunt did you start their program, or more importantly, when do you recommend starting their program. Should I start now... 18 months out?

They have two 16 week programs. Pre and post. I would just start with the post season strength and then go to preseason and just keep working through their programs until it's time to hunt. Time it so you end the pre-season hunt right before your hunt. You can probably ask them and they'll give you a more concise schedule.

dogman11

FNG
I just started the new elite program 2 days ago! I will not have any problems going to sleep!
it is legitimate!

dogman11

FNG
this Elite program is totally legit!!!!, It's taking me 50-65 minutes a day of pure mental hell!
You start out thinking the first few sets are not bad then they build up to sets of 20!! Its a victory every day just to finish!
CB

I would recommend 2 full body lifting sessions per week and 4 days of endurance and strength-endurance
1 -Deadlift pattern moderate to heavy weight/moderate to low volume
Overhead press moderate to heavy weight/moderate to low volume
Weighted rows mod to high volume
Horizontal press mod to high volume
Seated calf raise and tibialis anterior raise

2. Squat pattern mod to heavy weight/moderate to low volume
Horizontal press mod to heavy weight/moderate to low volume
Vertical pull moderate to high volume
Vertical push mod to high volume
Standing calf raise

Endurance and strength-endurance training
1. Long distance low stress
2. Ruck heavy weight low distance/low vert
3. Long distance moderate stress high vert
4. Ruck moderate weight moderate distance moderate vert

Train in 4 week cycles - 3 weeks of work 4th week deload
If you have bodyfat to lose, lose it. Take your time but get rid of it. There's no justifiable reason to carry excess bodyfat. I'm almost 53. If I can't see my abs I'm fat.

Start now. I went on my first sheep hunt last year in Northern Bc and I started training in January that year for it and felt I was just good enough. This year I haven’t even stopped training I’m pushing to be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
I would recommend 2 full body lifting sessions per week and 4 days of endurance and strength-endurance

Standing calf raise

If you have bodyfat to lose, lose it. Take your time but get rid of it. There's no justifiable reason to carry excess bodyfat. I'm almost 53. If I can't see my abs I'm fat.
I like your workout plan. I have a decent six pack. I’m around 11%. I’ll cut down to 8% before the hunt, but I have no desire to be single digits long term.

GLB

WKR
Not to over simplify it but this is how I see it.
1. Get your mind in the right place. (Mental toughness)
2. Strengthen your legs.
3. build your core
4. Do exercise that connect the whole body in all planes
5. Put that pack on and hike! ( If I could only do one this would be it)
6. Good diet.

Jake T

FNG

Standing calf raise

Can you please clarify "pattern"? Squat pattern...Deadlift pattern

Can you please clarify "pattern"? Squat pattern...Deadlift pattern
Squat pattern = back squat, front squat, reverse lunge, step up, goblet squat, dumbbell squat, kettlebell front squat, hack squat, leg press, belt squat, Zercher squat, sandbag squat, potato sack squat, etc....

Deadlift pattern = conventional deadlift, sumo deadlift, trap bar deadlift, Romanian deadlift, stiff leg deadlift, sandbag deadlift, stone lift, Karelin deadlift, kettlebell deadlift, kettlebell power swing, keg lift, etc.....

"Different strokes for different folks" you know?
Whatever works for you, your physiology and your particular training circumstances

I need to drop down to 215 for the sheep hunt, but thinking about holding the 10-15lbs until 3-4 months out to keep my body used to the extra weight.

I plan to keep this routine until this summer. Then combine my push and pull lift days into one day, so I can add an extra day of cardio. 6 months out I will combine push/pull and legs to add a long hike with 30lb pack to get my feet in shape. From there I will increase pack weight and length of hike until my hunt.

Appreciate any feedback on this plan. Please point out any flaws you see.

I'm a fan of push pull as well. Try adding quads and calves to your push day and hamstrings to your pull day. That will free up your legs day for alternate workouts like spin or swimming. I don't think carrying around that extra weight is good at anytime. If that's where you naturally sit then just role with it if your lean.

Tough feet are important! Tough in terms of feet that are conditioned to hiking and tough in terms of feet that are calloused and not likely to blister. The only way I know to toughen feet is to put on a backpack and hike the mountains.

OP
B
I just started the MTN Tough 45-70 program. I’m really glad I gave it a try. I think they did a Great job with the programming. It’s intense and they have excellent guidance on how to scale it based on your current strength and fitness levels.