Training release

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to improve my shooting. Sometimes I struggle with punching my trigger. I shoot a spot hogg wise guy that I really like when I’m shooting good. I’d like to try a resistance release for training . On paper I like the carter revolution. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently switched from a trigger release to a Stan PerfeX thumb release due to target panic. I really like the training lock where you put a pin the sear and can practice anywhere. It has helped me get that surprise release and follow thru. The only downfall for the release I have found is that is costs a lot.

mcdonder

FNG
Check out John Dudley and his training with back tensions releases like the Carter Evolution and the two finger version he sells, the Silverback. I hunt with the evolution and it works great. Definitely one you need to practice with though

I train with the Stan Element which is tension activated like the Carter Evolution and Silverback. I hunt with the Stan SX3 which is thumb triggered. Both Stans have the “trainer lock” feature.

nphunter

WKR
The evolution would be a great choice. My son struggles bad with target panic, he almost forgets how to punch his hinge after shooting the evolution, at least for about half of a round by the end he will start punching again and his groups open back up. They are a great training tool!

Zac

WKR
I've been using the Evolution for a couple years, I've heard that the Stan version is a more precise product but have not tried it. I just bought the Evolution on a whim but realized that I had target panic after using it the first couple times. I think almost anyone shooting a caliper style release deals with undiagnosed target panic.

Great decision
But caution
Going to a resistance release creates a desire for a back tension hinge release and you will want to sell your index releases
Lol

Do it. You well be glad in the end.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WKR
I think almost anyone shooting a caliper style release deals with undiagnosed target panic.

This is a ridiculous statement.

As @RosinBag has tried to explain numerous times, back tension is a technique to achieve a surprise release, and can be used effectively with any type of release aid.

Any type of release aid can be "punched" and any of them can be shot back tension with the determining factor residing between the ears, not in the hand.

Lawnboi

WKR
This is a ridiculous statement.

As @RosinBag has tried to explain numerous times, back tension is a technique to achieve a surprise release, and can be used effectively with any type of release aid.

Any type of release aid can be "punched" and any of them can be shot back tension with the determining factor residing between the ears, not in the hand.

I’d agree I punch my resistance release more than I do a wrist rocket. Get it on target and just rip away.

The release makes no difference. It’s all in your head. A resistance release can and will allow you to know what a surprise release feels like. What it is not is a fix all.

Reactions: TJ