Training while hurt

Ryan Pent

FNG
Hey everyone-
I am all geared up and ready for my first western hunt. I have always been active and relatively injury free. Recently I have been hitting the trails putting miles on the boots, and I started to develop what I think is Achilles tendinitis. My initial thought is that it has something to do with my boots (Solomon quest) never had an issue till I started hiking in them. I just picked up a pair of Crispi Summits, have yet to get them in the trial but I hope it helps. The question I have is, has anyone ever dealt with Achilles tendinitis while training for a hunt, and what have you done to get through the discomfort and still work on getting ready?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Never had that but swimming is good and low impact, put on fins and it will really work the legs. Find some deep water and put on fins and a weighted pack and just tread water for a good workout.

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't get anything diagnosed, but when I dealt with something that felt like this, I fixed it by foam rolling my I.T. bands and calf muscles. The knots were causing tension that I felt in my Achilles area. The shoes may have something to do with it as well, and often that can be assisted by after market insoles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had a horrible case of Achilles tendinitis back 10-15 years ago now, I was training for a marathon and the tendinitis just wouldn’t clear up no matter ho long I soaked my foot in ice water, stretched, massaged it etc. finally, what fixed it was getting some active release therapy on it, that helped break up adhesions and get the inflammation down. I think I went for 3-4 sessions (it’s been awhile now)
But it had me back in working order fairly quickly.

Not sure what active release looks like these days but the chiropractor I went to used to let me pay 50 dollars cash per session since insurance wouldn’t cover it back then.

OP
R

Ryan Pent

FNG
I had a horrible case of Achilles tendinitis back 10-15 years ago now, I was training for a marathon and the tendinitis just wouldn’t clear up no matter ho long I soaked my foot in ice water, stretched, massaged it etc. finally, what fixed it was getting some active release therapy on it, that helped break up adhesions and get the inflammation down. I think I went for 3-4 sessions (it’s been awhile now)
But it had me back in working order fairly quickly.

Not sure what active release looks like these days but the chiropractor I went to used to let me pay 50 dollars cash per session since insurance wouldn’t cover it back then.

It really flared up on me yesterday after a 13 mile hike. Pretty swollen. My next step was to call a physical therapist I have been going to for my shoulder and see if he can offer any advice. I will defiantly look into your suggestion.

Thanks

Brendan

WKR
100% back off and get it better. Plenty of time. I personally would see a chiro who specializes in soft tissue work and works with a lot of runners. ART, Graston, etc. Work with the chiro to understand best you can what's aggravating it.

OP
R

Ryan Pent

FNG
How often have you been doing 13 miles recently?

Longest one to date. Usually hitting 5-7 miles at a time. Was a little sore going into the hike yesterday but it was feeling good after I got going. It was a loop hike on trails and of course it really started giving me problems at about the 6-7 mile mark and i was kinda in no mans land. So I had to finish it out.

brsnow

WKR
Many times other areas are deficient and it will cause irritation in the over stressed area. I had IT band issues while training for my recent marathon. Physical therapy to strengthen hips and other areas coupled with rest allowed me to run the race. A Dr or PT would be a good place to start.

*zap*

WKR
Longest one to date. Usually hitting 5-7 miles at a time. Was a little sore going into the hike yesterday but it was feeling good after I got going. It was a loop hike on trails and of course it really started giving me problems at about the 6-7 mile mark and i was kinda in no mans land. So I had to finish it out.

2x normal distance would have a lot too do with aggravating that area. Hope you get it worked out soon.

Rhino8541

WKR
I didn't get anything diagnosed, but when I dealt with something that felt like this, I fixed it by foam rolling my I.T. bands and calf muscles. The knots were causing tension that I felt in my Achilles area. The shoes may have something to do with it as well, and often that can be assisted by after market insoles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was having issues with pain on the side of my knees, and as soon as I started consistently stretching my legs/glutes the pain went away. My muscles were constantly tight and it was pulling on the tendons, causing pain.

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
Find an airrosti clinic near you... you are going to need to grind out the damaged fascial tissue to have any chance of recovery in any sort of quick timeframe. If you don’t have one, get a foam roller, 3 lacrosse balls, take 2 and tape them together with athletic tape and sit down with your body at 90 degrees hinging at the waist, roll back and forth on the foam roller, single ball, and double ball. Putting as much weight as you can bear down on it. When you feel sharp pain. Bear down and focus on those areas. Look at you tube videos to find techniques and strength building exercises. I dealt with something similar for 3-4 months until I found Airrosti and they had it fixed in 3 visits. I know can fix most of my own minor injuries with foam/ball rolling on my own. Find the trouble spots and break them apart... it’s also good for a pre workout warm up in areas you know give you trouble, and general flexibility/ muscle health.