Training with out elevation

The altitude sickness is what gets me most of the time. You can train all you want, but if you're not acclimated to the altitude, you're screwed!
Altitude sickness is mainly dehydration. Try to drink a full gallon of water the day you are traveling to the mountains and it will really help you.

Koozer

FNG
Altitude sickness is mainly dehydration. Try to drink a full gallon of water the day you are traveling to the mountains and it will really help you.
I drink water to the point where I feel my eyeballs are floating!! We'll see how bad it is this year. I always look forward to the first 24-36 hours of being in the mountains, leaned up against a tree....

This. High school bleachers at 90+ degrees simulates elevation pretty well. The key is to run them, not walk, not with a pack. Just run them as fast as you safely can. Once I started doing this, I've been fine every year since.

Depends on what is meant by elevation. Definitely simulates climbs and descents, because it actually gives you both. It won't simulate the thin air of high altitudes, and that is what the biggest problem is for we "fit" flatlanders. I was raised in the mountains, but have lived at sea level my entire adult life. I've been an athlete all my life. I start getting sick at about 7000 feet if it's my first day back in the hills. Sleeping at altitude (6000 feet) a day in advance is the only treatment that consistently works for me. Low oxygen tents are less effective but help. Neither will bring back higher blood cell counts, but at least I don't get sick and have to go down the mountain or die.

Poser

WKR

This is not true. Hydration can help with blood oxygen levels which can help someone recover from AS, but AS itself is much more complex than purely being a hydration matter and some people are more genetically predisposed to AS than others. Over hydration can be counter productive, though, dehydration may intensify the effects of AS.

Increasing your Nitric Oxide levels ahead of exposure to altitude can be beneficial but no guarantee. Beet Juice is commonly used, but pomegranate juice and 100% dark chocolate may help as well. This is something that needs to be pregamed weeks in advance and the difference may be negligible to none for some people.

This is not true. Hydration can help with blood oxygen levels which can help someone recover from AS, but AS itself is much more complex than purely being a hydration matter and some people are more genetically predisposed to AS than others. Over hydration can be counter productive, though, dehydration may intensify the effects of AS.

Increasing your Nitric Oxide levels ahead of exposure to altitude can be beneficial but no guarantee. Beet Juice is commonly used, but pomegranate juice and 100% dark chocolate may help as well. This is something that needs to be pregamed weeks in advance and the difference may be negligible to none for some people.
Okay, it's only true for me then. According to Poser, it won't work for anyone else, so please proceed with caution.

I agree some people are more predisposed to it than others.

s1768s

FNG
Hill climber (if you can't find even a small hill in your area) and getting there a couple of days early. That has always helped me in altitude. The first helps with the inclines you will hike, the latter assists with the altitude acclimation (just my experience).

Ungainly

FNG
HIIT workouts can definitely help. They will help you get more efficient at recovery after effort.

Spending a day or two at elevation before you start out will help acclimatize.

Staying hydrated is always helpful. Not everyone is affected by altitude the same.

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
If you live anywhere near the beach, put on a medium pack and go walking and jogging and soft sand.