Training with out elevation

OP
N
I appreciate all the help! ill start incorporating hiit as well as other cardio. I definitely have some soft sand and areas ii can do a ruck hike. The masks have definitely been debunked but I appreciate every ones input. Mentally im not concerned about it but physically im a bit nervous especially if im successful bringing out the quarters I wanna make sure im ready for.

Blandry

WKR
I can tell you this… I moved from 600 ft above sea level in TX to 6000 ft in CO 2 years ago and it would have killed me to try to hike uphill the first week.

And I was in great shape at that time. I could run a 10k in respectable time at sea level. It was a pretty big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Based on my memory (!), I believe some sources say that one thing about altitude is that you will never know how it will affect you, and that while being in shape is a great idea, even top athletes can't be sure they will avoid the impact of altitude. In addition to the altitude tent sleeping, I followed the above advice of training and acclimating before the hunt, as well as hiking high and sleeping low at first. I also took some meds prescribed by my doctor (which, like all things, have trade-offs). Who knows whether any of it mattered, but I didn't seem to have too much of a problem.

So I live in Florida and plan on doing my first hunt this year. I’m in the gym lifting quite a bit and working on my cardio. Is there anything you guys recommend to help me out seeing as I don’t have access to elevation. Also how early before the hunt do you guys incorporate the pack into hikes and how do you add weight to it?
I know I'll sound like a broken record, but in the flat lowlands like where I live, the best thing I've found by far is to run (not walk) bleachers. The bigger the better. Shouldn't be a problem in FL to find some serious HS bleachers to run. Be careful with the pack weight if you're not used to it. Good way to injure yourself before the season even begins. Running bleachers helps my legs and my lungs at the same time. Since I started that routine, I've had my best years in the mountains.

ColoradoV

WKR
Get to elevation at least a week early and slowly gain elevation to acclimate.. Drink a lot of water.

1500’ ft a day give or take is about all your body can keep up with.

I live at 8200’ and it takes me 6-8 weeks of spending 2-5 days a week above 12k’ before I feel acclimated to 12k+. I try and sleep 2 night a week in that 11-12k elevation and this helps a bunch.

Honestly get in shape but the best thing you can do is spend the time to acclimate. There are no shortcuts to getting ready for elevation.

Reactions: NB7

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of great advice here. One thing to keep in mind adjacent to training is sorting out your boot situation as a flat lander. I spent the better part of a year "breaking in" my Scarpas In what I thought were a variety of situations. It wasn't until I loaded my pack, hiked up and down 30 degree ski hills in May before an August hunt did I realize my Scarpas would chew up my feet in short order! (Top of foot, toe box, heel slip). I ordered new boots with a clearer understanding of boot fit and perhaps saved my hunt. I know another guy who posted a while back mentioned stair training w/o loaded incline work and really struggled with his feet not considering the above issues.
Leukotape can only help so much.
Good luck on your training!

NB7

WKR
Flatlands here too, but I'll my .02 about aerobic bursts since it's fresh on my mind from my workout this morning.
I like to do 30 mins on my tread-climber at a moderate clip, and at every 90 seconds kick up the speed as high as it will go. Grind it out for 30 seconds, then back down to a moderate clip for 90 seconds. Repeat this until the half hour is up. I feel it's a good way to get those bursts with just a little recovery between each one, all without ever stopping.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
The masks have totally been been debunked, so that's an easy pass

What folks experience on a hunt in the West is partly altitude, but a lot of it is simply moving with weight up steep slopes- you can live at 8000' and if you haven't been training with weight moving up a steep slope, guess what- you're going to be hurting, a bunch!

Find something steep, load up a pack (light at first, slowly build) and start hiking hills- that's part of it

The other parts are building a good aerobic base, this takes time (think years, not weeks)- the good news on this front is it's relatively easy to do- 3-4 miles at a moderate pace (hiking or running), moderate being you can still carry on a conversation

Strength train a couple of times a week- concentrate on compound movements- squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead press

Lastly there has been a lot of recent research showing the benefits of training in the heat, not to where you're going to tip over, but moderately. Your body makes physiological changes when exposed to heat, more creation of capillaries in the muscle which equates to more oxygen reaching needy muscles

this all makes a lot of sense to me. I have a decent level of background fitness and already do some of this. I strenght train a few days a week, play soccer 2x per week, but need to get back in the habit of putting the pack (loaded) on and doing some rucking/hiking.

WPT

FNG
Im a little late to the party but for what it's worth, when I program for someone going on a hunt, I incorporate rucking/loaded pack hikes into the program 4 weeks before someone starts their hunt. No more than 50% of bodyweight, but I usually start them off around 20lbs and work up to what they think they'll pack in with. Your cardio training needs to be based off of heart rate zones, not intensity of the workout. Keep up with the strength training, as the combo of strength/cardio pay dividends when you go to start ruck training. Shoot me a message if you have any more questions, happy to help!

WKR
Yesterday was a little test for me. Have been walking longer distances than usual at around 6,700 feet elevation where I live. We parked at 6:30 am, grabbed a pack with 25 pound total weight and we did a 6 mile loop. Started at 11,300 feet and topped out at 13,100. Felt pretty good really and no soreness today.

Back to weights a few days a week and walking 4-5 miles in the mornings. I'm in an older age set these days and used to run quite a bit. This seems to be working good enough so far. All walking and hiking being done in my 5 year old Scarpas that will be going on the hunt again with me. Getting a bit worn but didn't want to break in new boots on an important hunt.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an air bike. HIT interval training will increase lung capacity and condition your legs. You can get an intense workout in 10-20min. , i'm talking about gasping for air like your gonna die and quads on fire. Hike with a weighted pack for 45 min sessions a few times per week as well.

Koozer

FNG
The altitude sickness is what gets me most of the time. You can train all you want, but if you're not acclimated to the altitude, you're screwed!

Going up and down stairs to strengthen your legs/lungs and loosing as much extra fat as possible would goa LONG ways for most hunters.

Almost every hunter I see could easily loose 10-75 pounds and it wouldn't hurt them. and it would be that much less to carry around with you.

If your 5'9 and 250 pounds your carrying around 80 more pounds than me going into elk season. Just saying...

Same goes for altitude sickness. The less body fat you have the better you are going to feel at elevation. I don't need an extra web of blood vessels in my body stealing precious oxygen. It doesn't take my blood long to make it back to my heart.