Transporter Interview

cfdjay

WKR
Hey guys. I’m gathering a list of questions to ask the different transporters on phone interviews as we plan this hunt. What questions come to mind that you should’ve asked but didn’t or REALLY glad you did ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cascade_Sherpa

Lil-Rokslider
Does the hunt get "extended" based off when the hunters actually make it out? Or is the hunt based off a window and it starts on the scheduled day/end on the pre-determined day?
What travel insurance does the transporter/outfitter recommend that covers both mechanical/weather, etc.?
Is there a refund if the hunters never get out to the bush/field?
How many airstrips are there within the unit?
Does the transporter/outfitter have multiple pilots? (mostly a covid situation)
Does another outfitter/transporter hunt/use the same area/airstrips?
Does the transporter own the plan(s) or contract?
Does the transporter have a plane mechanic on duty?
Can my group be moved after a pre-determined number of days without seeing game?
Is there a contingency plan in case the plan has a mechanical isssue?
Does "Pre-scouted" = regularly used/recycled camps?....is the next group of hunters going to find piles of human feces and an area that has been tracked and scented up/ gut piles near water sources?
How many groups does the transporter book at one time?... meaning will he be spread too thin to be effective

1. Do you provide clients with a clear and basic contract to read before signing on?

2. Are your published prices for a future hunt guaranteed?

3. If you decide to raise (my) prices, can I cancel and be refunded?

4. Describe, with specifics, how my meat and trophy are handled.

5. Will other hunters occupy/use my camp before I arrive?

6. Will I see or encounter hunters from other nearby camps?

7. Does 'my' area require a wolf tag to kill a wolf?

How many hours do the pilots have? In Alaska? off airport flying?

What is the company flight safety record?

Do you live in the unit/Alaska? How long? - Non-Alaska phone numbers are red flags for me.

How long have you (the owner, not the company) operated in the unit/Alaska?

Have you talked with other transporters in the area on how accidental overlapping client drop-offs are handled?

A feel for how many drop offs/day/plane is handy. You should be able to feel out who is overextended. I wouldn't simply count out someone because they have a single pilot/single plane operation. A lot of those guys have their hunters lose less time to a weather day than guys that have a few planes but simply book too many clients.

There is a line to walk where you need to make sure you are doing your due diligence but not coming across as a PITA client. Everyone in business loves when a client asks all the right questions up front, but knows when a client seems like they will want to talk to the manager the whole project. Craft your questions in a thoughtful manner and hide them in conversation. Keep in mind that your phone call is a two-way interview. The good companies are going to book out. They want you to hunt with them, but don't necessarily need you to hunt with them.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Great stuff fellas. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

1). How many hours do the pilots have, in Alaska, off airport .....

2). what is the company flight safety record? .....

3). do you live in the unit/Alaska? .... how long? .... how long have you (the owner, not the company) operated in the unit/Alaska .....

4). everyone in business loves when a client asks all the right questions up front .... craft your questions in a thoughtful manner .... the good companies are going to book out .... they want you to hunt with them, but don't necessarily need you to hunt with them.

These four facets are extremely important.

VernAK

WKR
Hey guys. I’m gathering a list of questions to ask the different transporters on phone interviews as we plan this hunt. What questions come to mind that you should’ve asked but didn’t or REALLY glad you did ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll assume you are referring to AIR transporters. Much of the above suggested questions are very good but keep in mind that the established and reputable air transporters are not usually seeking clients. The Slide can provide much valuable boots-on-the-ground experience from other members. Talk to members that have BTDT and compare their expectations to the actual experience.

Rokslide, IMO, is the best resource for Alaska fly-in hunt references and information. Use it!

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
I'll assume you are referring to AIR transporters. Much of the above suggested questions are very good but keep in mind that the established and reputable air transporters are not usually seeking clients. The Slide can provide much valuable boots-on-the-ground experience from other members. Talk to members that have BTDT and compare their expectations to the actual experience.

Rokslide, IMO, is the best resource for Alaska fly-in hunt references and information. Use it!

I couldn't agree more. And this thread is just adding to the countless hours of research I'm currently in the midst of.