Transporting antlers and cape back home

DLOsoft

FNG
I'll be flying to Wyoming this year for a mule deer hunt with a buddy, and am trying to figure out the most cost efficient way to get our antlers and capes back home. I was thinking that we would bring as much meat as we can as a second checked luggage and through carry on, but the cost of a third checked luggage gets really expensive.

I don't have any experience with this, but I was thinking maybe we can freeze the capes and put both capes together with both sets of antlers in a large cardboard box with some sort of interior insulation liner and also put some dry ice in there. Then we would ship the box via UPS Ground, which will take a couple of days, but figured the capes would stay frozen with the dry ice.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Check in with ups/etc. most of those places will only ship a certain amount of dry ice. The one near me was shockingly little, I think 5 lb.

If you think you will get the animal mounted, I would take the hide to a local taxidermist in WY and have it prepped/tanned and then shipped to you. Cut the skull cap and antlers from the skull, clean it up good and check it as baggage. Then you can take them both to your taxidermist of choice for final mounting.

If Alaska Airlines flies to and from your airports, you may be able to ship it via their Goldstreak service. Have used their service from AK to Portland, OR a ton a few years ago.

KHNC

WKR
I always take a large cooler. Cut the skull plate in two using a V-Cut (very important). This will allow the antlers to fit in the cooler with cape and meat. Pay the over 50lb fee and check it as second bag. Easily will be able to bring back boned out meat , cape and antlers.