Transporting trophies from Canada to the U.S.

DennisT

FNG
I am heading to the NWT this September to hunt Musk Ox.

I was planning to contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and U.S. Customs to find out what the process is for bringing the hide and horns back into the U.S. when I fly home.

The outfitter told me that I will need to overnight in Edmonton AB on the way up, and on the way back. When I flew through Calgary last year, I was able to get my firearms paperwork handled with U.S. Customs at the Calgary International Airport. I was hoping I could do the same this year in Edmonton, and possibly process any paperwork for the trophy.

If anyone has any advice, or knowledge of the process, what forms I need to fill out etc, I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you,
Dennis

NUKE

FNG
I have the same question. Putting off a Newfoundland moose hunt becuase I’m not sure how to get meat back without costing more than the hunt.

OP
DennisT

DennisT

FNG
Nuke,

I'm not sure where you're located, but I talked to an outfitter about moose hunting up there a year or two back. He told me that there were refrigerated tractor trailers that could ship your moose for you. I think he said you had to pick it up at a shipping terminal. I asked what it cost, and he used Pennsylvania as an example. I think he said it was a few hundred dollars to ship it there. I would talk with the outfitter about it. I'm sure that they get that question quite a bit. They would probably be able to assist you with any paperwork you would need, and help you get it to the trucking company.

My issue is a little different, because I'm trying to get it on the plane with me, and I don't want to get hung up with Customs or the U.S. FWS. I will be taking three flights through Canada just to get to back to Edmonton, before attempting to return to the U.S, so the outfitter isn't much help in my case.

Hope this is of some help,
Dennis