Trapping tips and tricks

TFrank

WKR
There has got to be a lot of trapping experience floating around on this form.

I always appreciated the little tips in the fur fish and game magazines over the years and wanted to fire up a post similar to that.

What are some trapping lessons you have learned over the years? What little tricks, rituals and techniques have you developed for your sets (that you are willing to share😉). Anything from gear modifications, unconventional tools, time saving methods or efficiencies.

wytx

WKR
Starting our trap line week of Thanksgiving.
This year we're trying some Wind River pan covers for our MB 550s.
We like to 4 coil our traps also for better jump out of the frozen stuff later in season.
Going to try some antelope check patch lure this year too for bobcats, I'll explain later if it works out.
Also got some drags from Strained chains Trap mods, Chris Morgan, They look like they'll work great.

We target bobcats and coyotes mainly.

OP
TFrank

TFrank

WKR
Starting our trap line week of Thanksgiving.
This year we're trying some Wind River pan covers for our MB 550s.
We like to 4 coil our traps also for better jump out of the frozen stuff later in season.
Going to try some antelope check patch lure this year too for bobcats, I'll explain later if it works out.
Also got some drags from Strained chains Trap mods, Chris Morgan, They look like they'll work great.

We target bobcats and coyotes mainly.
Never trapped a bobcat. Look forward to pics

wytx

WKR
We have a house cat that loves everything hunting related it seems; heads we bring home, camo clothes, horns and antlers we find.
She really likes antelope so we're going to try the cheek patch as a lure or bait. We've used an antelope horn in a cubby and caught a bobcat so thinking the smell on the gland will be good.
Just something to try.

OP
TFrank

TFrank

WKR
We have a house cat that loves everything hunting related it seems; heads we bring home, camo clothes, horns and antlers we find.
She really likes antelope so we're going to try the cheek patch as a lure or bait. We've used an antelope horn in a cubby and caught a bobcat so thinking the smell on the gland will be good.
Just something to try.
Neat. What do you think your most productive sets have been for cats? I would think that antelope bait is pretty unconventional, curious how it works. No reason not to trust your curious cat

wytx

WKR
Cubby sets and some sets with attractants- tinsel or hanging wings, etc. have worked well for bobcats.
My avatar was caught in a cubby set- pile of logs for the cubby.
Cays get better later but we'll trap a few early too.

Anyone have a way of releasing wolves. Im in WI and would like to trap some when I am through with school. We can't legally trap wolves, and I am sure must would pull out of a coyote set. But Neve know.

Coldtrail

WKR
Anyone have a way of releasing wolves. Im in WI and would like to trap some when I am through with school. We can't legally trap wolves, and I am sure must would pull out of a coyote set. But Neve know.
Wolves are not terribly hard to release, although they can be a little vocal. 2 guys, one with a catch pole and other with a 1/2 sheet of notched plywood works best. Use a finely tuned #3 coil spring for your cats, fox, and coyotes and most incidental wolves will pull out......there is always the risk of a hind foot catch but unless you are using big traps the wolves can usually pull away. The trappers who can legally target them prob have lots more info.

Y pole. I learned about them and watched it work on a wolf during a chemical immobilization class at a zoo and kinda laughed it off. Then saw them repeatedly work on wild canines and they’re effective. Wolves are submissive just like dogs. They’ll snap at the pole the first couple times and usually by the 3-4 time you can place it over their neck and they won’t move again. Avoid the catch pole rodeo at all costs! Been in too many of those with other animals.

Coldtrail

WKR
Y pole. I learned about them and watched it work on a wolf during a chemical immobilization class at a zoo and kinda laughed it off. Then saw them repeatedly work on wild canines and they’re effective. Wolves are submissive just like dogs. They’ll snap at the pole the first couple times and usually by the 3-4 time you can place it over their neck and they won’t move again. Avoid the catch pole rodeo at all costs! Been in too many of those with other animals.
That's a pretty slick idea, I had to google a bit to see how well that works but looks like a good option. I've had "mostly" good luck with a catch pole but have had things get western once and a while with bigger critters.

Looking to get started on trapping some of the innumerable coyotes on our property, maybe the resident bobcat as well -- can anyone point a first time wannabe trapper to a 101 guide or anything?

Just need a trap and a t-bone?

OP
TFrank

TFrank

WKR
Looking to get started on trapping some of the innumerable coyotes on our property, maybe the resident bobcat as well -- can anyone point a first time wannabe trapper to a 101 guide or anything?

Just need a trap and a t-bone?
I would look into snaring for yotes, but foot holds would work too ( especially since you are close to the property and can check them daily).

Foot holds takes a little more care/ sent control.

Your game and fish might offer some courses or material. If not there is plenty online.