Trapping tips and tricks

Harvey_NW

WKR
Check your state regs - every western state I’ve trapped prohibits the use of game animal parts as bait.
WA state specifies inedible parts of game/birds/fish may be used, just not within 30ft of a carcass or in the open visible to raptors.

Bachto

WKR
Just got my trappers license this morning, body gripping traps (including snares and foot holds) are illegal in WA. Pretty much live trap only. Read the study guide (only 44 pages with a lot of bs like recipes and animal descriptions you can skim through) and leave it open to reference when you take the test online, took less than 2 hours to do it all.

I just took mine as well, pretty disappointed you can't use any body gripping traps. I have found quite a few spots with beavers while duck hunting that I was wanting to try my hand at trapping with my step-son. Decided I would start small with some muskrat colony/cage traps and go from there.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I just took mine as well, pretty disappointed you can't use any body gripping traps. I have found quite a few spots with beavers while duck hunting that I was wanting to try my hand at trapping with my step-son. Decided I would start small with some muskrat colony/cage traps and go from there.
Same, was hoping to set some foot holds for coyotes. Par for the course with WA management..

Check your state regs - every western state I’ve trapped prohibits the use of game animal parts as bait.
In Iowa, you can trap around exposed bait so long as your sets are greater than 20' away.

EXPOSED BAIT You cannot set or maintain any foothold or body-gripping trap or snare within 20 feet of exposed bait on land anywhere in the state, or over water...

“Exposed bait” means meat or viscera of any animal, bird, fish, amphibian or reptile with or without skin, hide or feathers that is visible to soaring birds.

Yarak

WKR
Poly-fil under the pan assures nothing can get underneath to stop the trap from firing
It is odorless and silent
Keep things simple and don’t overwork yourself when making sets

duckhuntr

FNG
Neat. What do you think your most productive sets have been for cats? I would think that antelope bait is pretty unconventional, curious how it works. No reason not to trust your curious cat

I caught a lot of cats in the midwest with the wings/feathers over a leg hold.

Finn16

WKR
The most important component to successful trapping is location - all is else is secondary. Put the trap close to where they travel and your odds go up substantially regardless of what type set you put in. Also if you trap canines and are a dog owner, watch what objects he smells on your walks and also where the dog pees and poops. Watch the dogs foot placement and distance from objects when peeing on them.

musty

FNG
The best tip I could give any trapper is to join your state or local trappers association and the NTA, (national trappers assoc.). Attend their rendezvous' or conventions and you will learn more than anything on the internet. The associations work for the trappers and fight to preserve your right to trap. Best investment I've ever made!