Trapping.

So I have a sheep farm. I trap when I have problems. Last week I had a coyote kill on rental ground. I set snares in the fenceline and this evening I caught a setter from a few houses down. Damn thing crushed my thumb while letting it out. I was muzzling it with one hand. Sweetest damn dog once I got it out but a handful while caught. ( I set my snares for body grips). I had already checked my line but got a phone call from the owners that someone was looking for their dog.

Just curious what everyone has released?

My best story is letting a skunk go from a snare. We approached it with a tarp. Thing of course sprayed the tarp, we got it's tail down and released it. Walked a little ways and looked back at us. Seemed to thank us, then went on it's way. My buddy was puking on the tree the whole time from the smell so he missed skunk salute.

jmez

WKR
My brother released a mountain lion from a foothold. We've let several bobcats go.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
Any video of the lion release? I would love to see that. I don't know if I would have the gonads to attempt that one.

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
Two different otters. Those things are strong and mean! Not mt. lions, but not fun!

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
A friend was trapping the creek behind my house and caught my Great Dane in a leghold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Billy Goat
I had a great blue heron in a leg hold #1. Caught by the toe. Pretty intimidating to crawl up to that thing to let it out.

jmez

WKR
We use canvas ground cloths. Throw it over the cat and then hop onto it right over the top of them, pins them down. Then you can let their foot out and back off the cloth. We let a lot of bobcats go this way.

It is pretty slick and simple with 2 guys. I wouldn't have tried that alone with a lion.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Outlaw99

WKR
Anyone from Montana near Melrose? My good buddy Andy Weiser traps full time out there. He releases multiple lions each year. He’s got a good dvd that shows lion, wold, and bear releases. For a little feller, he’s got balls of steel lol

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I have caught a lot of skunks in cage traps. Someone up there must love me because I've never been sprayed.

Otherwise, the wackiest thing was a nice Northern pike in a 330 beaver set.

tuffcity

WKR
Only had to let a couple of big ravens go when they flew into one of my wolf snares, generally a wing hook up. Grab the beak with a gloved hand and body grip them under one arm. Wolves and coyotes go home with me. :) I only run snares with locks and 330's. My area is miles off the road and my trails are signed with active trapping notices and so far haven't hooked up any ones pet. But I've only ever seen one couple and their dog up there and it was on a leash- because of the signs. Nice people and respectful of what I was doing.

I'd advise anybody who likes to hike with their dogs off leash to invest in a good small cable cutter ($30) and I'll never begrudge some one for cutting one of my snares to let their dog out.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I've had to release a bird once. Beyond that, I caught a neighbors dog in a cage trap. It was sleeping when I checked the trap. Opened the door and it quietly got up and walked away, never even looked at me.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
luckily i havent had to release anything yet but I have to go in the boonies to get much. I always did carry a board with handles and a notchin the event i got myself a cat when it was out of season. Buddy of mine showed me and then seen it again on some videso when learning the ropes so always had the board with me after that

Mountain lion id call the warden. Ive seen some nevada trapping videos where they will come out and tranq it and release it.

As for skunks im hoping to one day get a nevada spotted skunk!

Worst by far I've had to release from a foothold is a Fisher.

Things are much worse than a large bobcat as I've released a few of them as well. For the bobcats I use a quality catch/rabies pole that locks and simply pin them down. Fishers are almost impossible with a catch pole and the best method I've came up with is to cut a small piece out of a 4x8 sheet of plywood and use it as a guard when you release their leg from the trap.

Caught my own lab in a coyote snare this past winter. I set snares near the house along a fenceline because I had coyotes coming through each night. I would pull the set each morning, walk the dog in the afternoon, then re-set the snares that evening to make sure that my dog wouldn't find them. One night it was cold and I went to bring her in the house but she wasn't in her enclosure, one of my boys left the gate open. Of course it's 10 degrees with 6" of snow and so I've got to get dressed and rush out to find her, fearing the worst. I get to my second snare and there she is sitting, but with the snare pretty snug around her neck. She hadn't been in it very long but she somehow knew not to fight it and just sat there waiting for me. Needless to say, I don't set snares near the house anymore!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
A friend was trapping the creek behind my house and caught my Great Dane in a leghold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've caught a few dogs too, I learned the hard way that when you kill somebodies dog, its better to ditch it out on the tundra than to bring the dead dog back and try to explain things.