Travel checklist

Scrap

FNG
Hello-
I’m going on a road trip with my young boykin, and this will be our first. He’s been pro trained, through 1 seasoned pass, and showing lots of promise.

We will be going to OK for a 3 day hunt, ducks geese and maybe crane. I’ve got some goggles for him if he’s spunky enough to get after the cranes.

Why else do you bring? I have a first aid kit, obviously whistles, ecollar, foot, bowls, kennel, lead, and vest.

What else? Anyone have a dog hunting checklist?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holocene

WKR
Scrap,

Cheers to a fellow Boykin owner! I have a 3 year old that's been all over Oregon, Nevada, and CA with me. We chase ducks and grouse/quail for the most part. I'm originally from SC, so grew up around these dogs and love em. Hilarious to imagine your pup in goggles.

Your list looks good. Here's a few items I'd add based on experiences, good and bad.

1. Hydrogen peroxide + needleless syringe. My dog's found peanut butter rat poison bars twice and I've used this to make her vomit -- better safe than sorry.
2. Medical staples like these. And a stapler remover. I have one wide + one narrow. Have used them several times. These dogs are high energy and can find barbed wire or glass bottles in water...practice using this on something other than your dog. Easy and very handy.
3. Extra blind lead/leash. I lose about one per year by leaving it at the blind under some mud.
4. Special blind snacks to keep pup's spirits up in cold
5. Musher's Secret foot balm. Nice to put on pup's feet if they get sore. Not 100% needed.

Here's me and Maggie this weekend going after grouse.

IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG

Have a fantastic trip!

Chargers and maybe a spare collar for the e-collar.

food and water bowls always seem to get forgotten at home.

water bottle for the dog in the field

Booties and electrical tape if you use them

dog bed for the kennel at the hotel

towel to dry/ clean muddy paws

tweezers/forceps for splinters, Burrs, and porcupine quills

Ten Bears

WKR
good stuff above. I'll add a few.

I toss some EMT gel in kit always.
Canned pumpkin to settle the stomach
Any Novox/Carprofen/Flagyl you have laying around
I have a small bike chain with a hook if hunting around conibears to help open
I save 24 hour vet and local vet info in my phone
A bar of Jewelweed soap for me and the dog if running in Ivy/Sumac

I'll second that Mushers Secret too, love that stuff

OP
S

Scrap

FNG
Some great advice. Thanks for the contributions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
Contact info for several vet clinics in the area you'll be hunting.

If you get a stapler, get a cheap beard trimmer to go with it. Stapling wounds is a lot easier (and cleaner) if you shave the hair away first.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Papers from your vet with vaccination records. Chances are the emergency vet can look them up, but better safe than sorry.

I carry a pair of these cable cutters with me incase we ever run into a snare. They are knipex 95 62 160
1635799738319.png

WCB

WKR
our dogs benefit greatly from a wet canned dog food (same brand as they already eat) when on trips and running hard day after day.

Also...eye drops or something to flush their eyes out with. Never have and issue on local hunts but always seems like when we are out of town they get something in their eye.

Mosby

WKR
I read recently about a "get lost file". I think it was Scott Linden. He takes flyers made in advance w/pictures of the dog, contact information etc., Would save a lot of valuable time, in the event of a lost dog. I am going to do the same before my next trip.

I also print up a list of local vets, address and phone numbers and leave that in my truck with the dogs health records.

I always keep a muzzle in the first aid kit, one of the rubber ones so she can open her mouth and breath easily. It came in very handy when I had to staple her leg up after she blasted through a barbed wire fence hidden by tall grass. I was able to have my buddy hold her still without worrying about her biting him while I stapled. The book k9 medic is a pretty good reference for emergencies too.

Throw in some of the largest zip ties you can find to use for coniber trap. Buy a trap and watch YouTube videos and practice. I hope you never have to use them. Good hunting to you.

koalizySo

FNG
I'm happy for you. I wonder how your first trip with the dog went?
I have a funny story about hunting with my dog. I didn't often take my dog hunting because I was worried about him, but sometimes I wanted him to accompany me. I then went hunting in South America and decided to hunt in Costa Rica. I was younger and more naive then, I decided that this would be a serious hunt where I would be alone with nature, so I didn't take almost anything with me except a weapon and a knife. At one point I hurt my leg on a snag and started looking for a way to civilization, but because I was inexperienced, I got lost and only thanks to the fact that I had a dog with me, he was able to find a hotel nearby that turned out to be right in the rainforest and the hotel staff helped me there. I think it was www.junglevistahotel.com and after they helped me, I gave $1,000 to the staff as a thank you. Since then, I don't hunt in other countries and try to take the dog with me more often, because he saved my life

koalizySo

FNG
I'm happy for you. I wonder how your first trip with the dog went?I have a funny story about hunting with my dog. I didn't often take my dog hunting because I was worried about him, but sometimes I wanted him to accompany me. I then went hunting in South America and decided to hunt in Costa Rica. I was younger and more naive then, I decided that this would be a serious hunt where I would be alone with nature, so I didn't take almost anything with me except a weapon and a knife. At one point I hurt my leg on a snag and started looking for a way to civilization, but because I was inexperienced, I got lost and only thanks to the fact that I had a dog with me, he was able to find a hotel nearby that turned out to be right in the rainforest and the hotel staff helped me there. I think it was www.junglevistahotel.com and after they helped me, I gave $1,000 to the staff as a thank you. Since then, I don't hunt in other countries and try to take the dog with me more often, because he saved my life

The wire cutters for snares is a big one. You can play with a conibear a little bit to buy yourself some extra time, but if your dog runs into a snare the clock starts ticking pretty fast. We snare a lot of coyotes up here in North Dakota and thankfully I've never had a dog run into a snare but I know people who have and if you don't have a wire cutter its a bad deal.