Travel kennel for a Griff

I'm looking to buy a travel kennel for my 5 month old Griff. I would like to purchase a kennel that will fit him when he's fully grown. I've been looking into a ruff tuff sized intermediate sized kennel. Any feedback would be appreciated

Do you plan on having him actually travel in it or mostly just for when you want him secured from time to time and to sleep in? I planned on having my Pudelpointer travel in one, but she always just ended up riding in the back seat. I know it’s smarter to have them ride in a crate, but I guess a lot of things are smarter… I ended up getting a folding wire type crate for travel so I can put her in it when I need her secured and to sleep in but it folds up flat so it’s not in the way when I don’t need it. Those do look like pretty nice kennels though.

OP
Eltigreblanco
Do you plan on having him actually travel in it or mostly just for when you want him secured from time to time and to sleep in? I planned on having my Pudelpointer travel in one, but she always just ended up riding in the back seat. I know it’s smarter to have them ride in a crate, but I guess a lot of things are smarter… I ended up getting a folding wire type crate for travel so I can put her in it when I need her secured and to sleep in but it folds up flat so it’s not in the way when I don’t need it. Those do look like pretty nice kennels though.
I would like to have him travel in it. He rides shotgun now, but I would like to get him used to traveling in the kennel so when I have my kids, or he's filthy it's not an issue.

Then yeah that does look like a pretty good one, the gunners look nice too but pretty spendy. I don’t have first hand knowledge but those would be the two I’d be looking at. I wonder if it’s like the yeti/rtic coolers?

KurtR

WKR
My lab rides in his ruff tuff he is also crate trained since he was a puppy so he loves it that’s his quite place. Gunner and Dakota 281 are both great kennels to.

OP
Eltigreblanco
My lab rides in his ruff tuff he is also crate trained since he was a puppy so he loves it that’s his quite place. Gunner and Dakota 281 are both great kennels to.
How big is your lab, and what size kennel do you have?

DKBronco

FNG
I use the gunners for my labs and am pleased with them. One dog is 55# and the other is 65#. I have the large size and it is a bit bigger than they need for travel but they have some room when I use it as a crate when away from home.

Claroue

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 45# gwp and she rides/sleeps in the intermediate sized ruffland. I put it in the middle of backseat of my truck(Silverado). My kids ride on both sides. I got the 2 door version with a side door so I can leave kennel in truck all season.

WKR
Intermediate should work. The Ruff Land kennels are good kennels. Advantage to them is they are light and in a pinch at a motel with an outside room door I can lug one in.

The Gunners are cadillacs. I have a large one for my 80 plus pound draht and its perfect for him. Downside is its a heavy sucker. I leave it in the truck the whole season. Very strong and great door on these.

Buy whichever fits your budget. If not in a hurry watch for used Gunners. I bought mine used and saved about 50%.

I have the rufflands, really like them. I buy the locking kit as well and the handle/tie down straps and use them in the summer

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple rufflands and there great. Priced according and durable. Gunners are super sweet but you’ll pay for it

2ski

WKR
How big is your griff? Everything I see is intermediate Ruffland, medium Dakota, and I'm not sure if it's medium or intermediate on the Gunner. I would guess medium on a Lucky Duck.

I have a 10 month old griffon that I'm expecting to be about 60ish pounds. He's long legged. I bought him a Dakota in medium. He has room in it but I got a thick bed so it swallows up some of that room. I had some gift cards so it ended up being about 150 to me. My brother has a griffon a month younger and he's thinking of getting the low profile Dakota so his dog has less room so he doesn't pee jn it. But everything is sold out right now.

I drive a crv and it fits in the backseat with the backdoor all the way open. It's a tight fit getting it through the door but I have the angle down now to get it in or more so the height I have to lift it to to slide it in the door. It doesn't face forward on the seat but across the seat and takes up 2 seats. A seat and a half in the backseat of my work truck. It can be awkward to carry sometimes but I use the airholes on the side to lift sometimes, depending on where I'm going with it. It's big externally. But I like it.

Having seen the Ruffland in stores(its the only crate you can see in a store out of the hunting crates) there's definitely a better quality to the Dakota. I could see setting something to heavy on the Ruffland and blowing a seam. Probably nitpicking because you're not going to be stacking stuff on it but I don't like the seams of the Ruffland. The Dakota sits next to my car in the garage and I'm always setting something on it for a second. It's well-made. I would have loved to buy a gunner but that 8 hundo is spendy.

Vandy321

WKR
I'd wager the cutoff for Gunner Int/Lg is aboht 75lbs...but it's more length than weight. My 50# pup fits nicely in his Int, it's gonna be a tight squeeze if he hits 80# like they say. We have the large as well, thank goodness it has wheels, maybe I have t-rex arms, but not a chance I could carry that Lg by myself.

Gunner can send you pics of the same dog in a Int/Lg if you want to get a visual, just ask them. I'm sure ruff land can too

Last edited:
OP
Eltigreblanco
He is 4 months old and 28lbs. The breeder told me to expect him to be about 70-75lbs. Im going to look locally and see if I can find one to see how big they are

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Scheels has the Rufflands and they ship them to you for free. I have bought 2 from them. I don't have a Griff, so no help with size.

Also, you can get a deal on them from Cabelas, sometimes. They have a 20$ off $100-$199 purchase right now, and you can get 9% back from Active Junky. I think you can have them shipped to a store and not pay freight or maybe even have them shipped to your house with no freight. They also have Lucky Duck kennels.

KurtR

WKR
How big is your griff? Everything I see is intermediate Ruffland, medium Dakota, and I'm not sure if it's medium or intermediate on the Gunner. I would guess medium on a Lucky Duck.

I have a 10 month old griffon that I'm expecting to be about 60ish pounds. He's long legged. I bought him a Dakota in medium. He has room in it but I got a thick bed so it swallows up some of that room. I had some gift cards so it ended up being about 150 to me. My brother has a griffon a month younger and he's thinking of getting the low profile Dakota so his dog has less room so he doesn't pee jn it. But everything is sold out right now.

I drive a crv and it fits in the backseat with the backdoor all the way open. It's a tight fit getting it through the door but I have the angle down now to get it in or more so the height I have to lift it to to slide it in the door. It doesn't face forward on the seat but across the seat and takes up 2 seats. A seat and a half in the backseat of my work truck. It can be awkward to carry sometimes but I use the airholes on the side to lift sometimes, depending on where I'm going with it. It's big externally. But I like it.

Having seen the Ruffland in stores(its the only crate you can see in a store out of the hunting crates) there's definitely a better quality to the Dakota. I could see setting something to heavy on the Ruffland and blowing a seam. Probably nitpicking because you're not going to be stacking stuff on it but I don't like the seams of the Ruffland. The Dakota sits next to my car in the garage and I'm always setting something on it for a second. It's well-made. I would have loved to buy a gunner but that 8 hundo is spendy.
I stand on my ruff land a bunch and it holds 200 pounds with no problems. I also have the storage made for the top and carry all kinds of stuff in it. I do believe that gunner and Dakota probably get through a crash better but Ainley will be my next box probably a 4 hole.

OP
Eltigreblanco
I think my main concern is if I should get an intermediate or large. I drive a 4 runner so space is a little bit of a worry