Travel Logistics Help

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a spring bear hunt for next year. One of my big obstacles is going to be travel logistics. I thought I'd send it out there and see if you guys have any input. I have narrowed it down to four outfitters. I will be flying from Wisconsin to Idaho.

1. I then need to figure out how to get from that airport to the outfitter. Some offer a pick up service and some don't. Even if they do I will probably need to come in a day early and stay a day late at the city I am flying out of which puts me in a position of needing transport to and from the airport. Renting a car? Seems like a waste of money to have it sit there for a week.

2. Cost and logistics for hide/meat shipped back to Wisconsin or many cost of having a 1/4 wall mount of a bear. Not sure what to expect here.

I'm going alone which makes it easier in some respects and harder in others. Any other logistics I am missing ?

chris

slimC

FNG
Why Idaho? what about Montana or Wyoming? I would drive if possible, takes away all the travel stress, don't have to worry about canceled flights, renting a car etc. You could very well end up spending 2x the amount of money by flying and renting a car vs driving, you could even end up spending 2x the travel time due to the crazy airports with canceled flights. Just load up your rig and get on the road, leave when you want, come back when you want, can bring the meat if successful. Much less guess work.

OP
C
Why Idaho? what about Montana or Wyoming? I would drive if possible, takes away all the travel stress, don't have to worry about canceled flights, renting a car etc. You could very well end up spending 2x the amount of money by flying and renting a car vs driving, you could even end up spending 2x the travel time due to the crazy airports with canceled flights. Just load up your rig and get on the road, leave when you want, come back when you want, can bring the meat if successful. Much less guess work.
All good points. This is my first out of state guided hunt. Two bears, lots of recommended guides, hunt cost are all reasons why I have leaned towards Idaho.

chris

U Haul single cab work pickup. You can get them for like $25 a day and pay by the mile. You would have to put on some serious miles to get it up to 1/3 the price of an actual rental in 7-10 days.

edit: I typed in Anchorage on the Uhaul website just for fun. single cab work pickup is $20/day and $0.79/mile. Even if you put on 500 miles that's extremely affordable for 10 days! And it looks like they have an extended rate so you may even be able to get it cheaper.

OP
C
U Haul single cab work pickup. You can get them for like $25 a day and pay by the mile. You would have to put on some serious miles to get it up to 1/3 the price of an actual rental in 7-10 days.
That sounds like a great idea. One problem may be getting from the airport to the uhaul place. Some of the airports are not in large cities.

Look at flying and what the outfitter will charge to pick you up and drop you off. Compare that against the current cost of gas, total mileage, hotel stays and food.

Then you have to place a value on your time. I’d personally rather work and take those lucrative billable hours (40+) than sit in vehicle and deal with dumb asses for days over the entire trip. But I do understand that folks can and do feel differently.

Unless it’s a tiny puddle jumper, you’ll likely have no issue transporting gear and hide/meat for a nominal fee (depending on which airline you’re flying, status, etc).

EdP

WKR
Unless you are pinched for time due to work considerations, I also suggest you drive. It would be about 2 full days of driving each way but it solves a host of problems and there is a lot to see along the way. I drove from Abingdon Va with a stop in Ky to pick up my buddy. In addition to the bear hunt we stopped at Scotts Bluff, Devils Tower, Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron Ne, visited the Jack O'Connor Center in Lewiston, Mt Rushmore, Shiloh Sharps in Big Timber Mt, Pompey's Pillar, the Custer Nat Battlefield, and drove through the Badlands Nat Park. It was one heck of a trip.

go_deep

WKR
Lots of hotels near airports have a free shuttle pickup and drop off from the airport to the hotel. Call around and ask, there's always UBER.

OP
C
Unless you are pinched for time due to work considerations, I also suggest you drive. It would be about 2 full days of driving each way but it solves a host of problems and there is a lot to see along the way. I drove from Abingdon Va with a stop in Ky to pick up my buddy. In addition to the bear hunt we stopped at Scotts Bluff, Devils Tower, Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron Ne, visited the Jack O'Connor Center in Lewiston, Mt Rushmore, Shiloh Sharps in Big Timber Mt, Pompey's Pillar, the Custer Nat Battlefield, and drove through the Badlands Nat Park. It was one heck of a trip.
I am leaning this way more and more. Trying to talk my wife into coming along. She would just need to find something to do for the week I am hunting.

chris