Travel Pack for Backcountry Elk?

fontrsn

FNG
I'm brand new to Rokslide so forgive me if this post is ignorant. I'm doing my first backpack bowhunt for elk in September and I'm on a budget. I have a MEI travel pack I bought years ago. It weighs six pounds and is absolutely bullet proof, with a fully adjustable and comfortable suspension system, water resistant and tough tough tough. It is however, a travel pack and not even a trail pack, much less a hunting pack. I have backpacked in CO to 11,300 feet with a sixty five pound load in years past and it worked great. With a limited budget, what priority should I put on a pack over things like hunting clothes, optics and other things I may need? I have a great bow but need arrows (heavier for elk), don't have my water system figured out yet, have a good sleep system. Does a hunting pack make all the difference in the world, or is just a nice thing to have?

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
Some of the packs people are using for hunting are as minimalist as you can get (see some of seek outside's offerings, no break away bag minimal pockets). If your pack works for you under heavy loads, focus your cash on optics, boots, and a good layering system

Just like @brisket says, sounds like it works for you for now. No need to buy a fancy hunting pack if you have already field tested and it has worked in the past. I'd spend my $$$ on something else.

Arrows you already have will work. If you like your archery setup, leave it. If it were me, I would find a nice set of bino's or clothing. Even the clothing doesn't have to be hunt specific. I have a bunch of camo KUIU stuff but have strayed to more solids over the years. I hate spending big $$ on clothing to wear it a few weeks per year. I have 3 pairs of hunting pants I wear year round for casual and work stuff. 1 pair of KUIU and 2 pairs of Prana. Wearin Pranas today as a matter of fact.

OP
fontrsn

fontrsn

FNG
Thank you both for answering. Good thoughts. If I were younger I’d be more inclined to make an investment but I’m nearly fifty now and don’t know how many of these trips I have left between personal obligations and the inevitable creep of time. I have clothing that will work except maybe getting a puffy jacket of some kind for glassing or early and late at camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
Your general hiking clothes, as long as they aren't cotton, should be fine as well. You definitely don't need camo to be successful. If you're comfortable with the pack you have then use it!

Your optics needs can also depend on where/how you'll be hunting. Always nice to have binos with you, but you may have limited use out of them if you're hunting in thicker timber.

Make sure you have good boots, and practice practice with the bow. Shoot it in the clothes you'll hunt in with your pack on. Good luck out there.

Best advice already given. Keep it simple. Lots of stigma on this forum about gear. It’s what built it. It’s nice stuff. But, if you got something that works satisfactory, use it and spend elsewhere.

Your general hiking clothes, as long as they aren't cotton, should be fine as well. You definitely don't need camo to be successful. If you're comfortable with the pack you have then use it!

Your optics needs can also depend on where/how you'll be hunting. Always nice to have binos with you, but you may have limited use out of them if you're hunting in thicker timber.

Make sure you have good boots, and practice practice with the bow. Shoot it in the clothes you'll hunt in with your pack on. Good luck out there.

Agree with everything said with the exception of optics. My CO elk hunt this past year was a real eye opener for me, it was the first time I had found game at close range through my binos.

I found the most effective strategy in the area we were hunting was slipping along game trails in the dark timber and stopping to glass every few steps. I spotted a mule deer doe inside of 50 yards through my Zeiss binos. Taking them away and looking at the spot where she was bedded, I couldn’t see her with my naked eye and 20/15 vision.

Shortly after, I spotted a bedded elk the same way and unfortunately missed my shot. IMO, if the gear you have works, spend $ on glass.

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with everything said with the exception of optics. My CO elk hunt this past year was a real eye opener for me, it was the first time I had found game at close range through my binos.

I found the most effective strategy in the area we were hunting was slipping along game trails in the dark timber and stopping to glass every few steps. I spotted a mule deer doe inside of 50 yards through my Zeiss binos. Taking them away and looking at the spot where she was bedded, I couldn’t see her with my naked eye and 20/15 vision.

Shortly after, I spotted a bedded elk the same way and unfortunately missed my shot. IMO, if the gear you have works, spend $ on glass.

That's a fair point. I always have my binos on me while hunting, I just found that I didn't use them as much in the thick stuff. Depends on the style of hunting your doing for sure. I bet there aren't too many guys sneaking through the thick stuff glassing for bedded elk! May have to try that this year...