Travel Restrictions and fees in the Infrastructure bill

LaGriz

WKR
The recent infrastructure bill has 2700 pages that few have read nor understand. Caught only a smidgen of a report saying the new bill allows states or arthurites to bill the average citizen for any mileage (carbon credits?) accumulated while driving across state lines. Can some one bring me up to speed on what exactly this is about? Hard to believe that 19 republican Senators voted for this, including my own Senator Cassidy!

LaGriz

I'm certainly no expert at all, but its my understanding that they want to run a test program where people would pay their road use tax based off of mileage they drove rather than paying for that at the gas pump.

Electric cars cause the same wear and tear to the road as the other cars out there, but pay no road use tax because they aren't filling up with gas, so I guess it kinda makes sense?

No idea what crossing state lines has to do with it, but maybe its kind of like how commercial vehicles have to report their miles in each state..

*zap*

WKR
the US government is the biggest budget in the world and probably 25% of it is just given away to pay for political gain. obama is now a billionaire.....he was a jr senator 12 years ago.

So 250 billion of this bill we be earmarked to people who will do very little for it.....

ozyclint

WKR
The next step after that will be controlling your movements. Once they can track you then they impose whatever restrictions they like. Be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: ZDR
I would be extremely opposed to adding a gps to my car. My insurance company offered me a big discount a few years ago if I’d add a gps unit and I said no thanks.

Edit: on second thought, couldn’t they already read the data through the ODB-II scanner? Every car after 1996 has one and the can tell speed and distance, if not gps data. Why wouldn’t they just read that at a yearly inspection? My new Toyota has an app that gives me a drive score and shows where I’ve been on a map, I wish I could disable that big brother shit.

^^this.
Complete tracking of everyone's movements is the goal. Introduce a tax that requires it then suddenly you have a mandate to surveil and tax
But only on federal highways. A state can opt out when it comes to anything state controlled. And then the feds have a little problem called Article 5 of the Constitution...

General motors on star feature is the same thing… Plus we’re all carry around cell phones.

That's easy, ditch to stupid cell phone and people will just have to get used to not being able to get hold of someone on a moments notice again.

Broomd

WKR
My wife chuckled when around 2012 I suggested that the USSA was going to monitor people's miles and driving real time to tax them. Well here we are.
She also doubted me when I suggested that we stockpile some rice and beans should the shelves be emptied for some national chaotic event.
Then covid hit and she had an awakening.

It hearkens to guys at this very forum who constantly defend the woke, progressive actions of politicians, all of which drag our country to hell one step at a time.
Like the frog happily floating in the pot of warm water they won't realize what they defended and furthered was complete totalitarian bulllshit until it's too late.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
How are they going to know how many miles you drove?
App on your cell phone. It will be in concert with your insurance company. The more you drive, the higher risk you are. For your own good, you will need to have your mileage tracked so you pay the right amount of insurance and carbon credits.

this will make things more equitable.

There will be a sliding scale though and the more your report on your taxes, the higher your rates.

this will make things more equitable.

you will be asked to contribute a potion (don’t worry, only a few cents on the dollar) to a fund that will go to historically oppressed populations to help pay for their insurance and carbons credits, and maybe even get them in a more fuel efficient car.

this will make things more equitable

Do I have to go on?