Travel Trailer for Summering in Alaska

SwiftShot

WKR
Looking to spend a few summers up in Alaska starting next year. Currently have a 2022 F350 Tremor package with 6.7 on it. It is a 5th wheel package. It will be me and the wife. Looking to drive up through Canada and spend some serious time in Alaska just sight seeing and scouting the country. I have been there before but it has been decades. Looking for suggestions.

wyosteve

WKR
Whatever you get be sure to put the best tires on that you can find. Michelins, Goodyear’s are 2 that I’ve used.

I wouldn't get a massive trailer if it was me. Bigger trailer means it will limit your camping spots if your going to be in camp grounds. Find something big enough to be comfortable but not overwhelmed. There are lots of pull offs you can park for free. Some camp grounds fill up fast and aren't first come first serve so if there are places you really want to stay for a extended time I would book them as soon as you know you are coming up, especially anything around the kenai river from late june to mid august.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
I've been researching campers recently.
If I had your pickup, lots of extra cash, and living in it long term, I'd be buying an Outdoors RV or Artic Fox.

Fatcamp

WKR
I've been researching campers recently.
If I had your pickup, lots of extra cash, and living in it long term, I'd be buying an Outdoors RV or Artic Fox.

Arctic Fox makes an awesome small fifth wheel. Not sure it's what OP has in mind.

I would get something in the 23-25 foot range double axle with one slide out. Something that's still light but has enough axle strength to handle all the frost heaves. That's a palace for two. Then put a topper on the pickup for extra storage. I would do a slide in if you plan to spend much time up the Haul Road or Denali Hwy.

It seems like almost every time I get to the top of turnagain pass from May-September there is a dually with it's hood open that's hooked up to a comically large fifth wheel and waiting for a tow truck.

IN2HNTN

FNG
I have an Outdoors RV, very well made for a trailer. It's 22ft with a slide, not to big but works great for me and the wife. No problems towing with a 3/4 ton.

drra

FNG
Do you plan on leaving your truck/camper in AK and return for multiple summers?

Good advice on smaller camper. Camping spots get filled up quickly. Lots of times, you need to call ahead and reserve. There are still options to just pull over and sleep but not like my college days back in the 90’s. Lots of access areas closed off.

If going for the fishing - go to ADF&G and check the weir counts for rivers you are thinking of fishing. AK fisheries management is terrible and they are slowly killing alot of the runs. Some accessible rivers besides Kenai (def need a guide on some of these) - Gulkana and Klutina in summer for Kings, Deshka, Susitna for silvers in the fall.

Can head to Seward, Whittier, or Homer for Halibut for offshore silvers and kings depending on time of year.

If you have the time and are up for an adventure, look at leaving your rig at Homer, Whittier, Valdez, grab your tent and bags and hop on the Alaska Ferry and hit up Southeast Alaska. You can buy rooms to sleep on ferry or they used to just let you pitch your tent on deck back in the day. Southeast is pretty cool.

Have fun!