Travel Trailer Mice

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I just bought our first travel trailer. It's going to be stored at my buddies farm on concrete. He has a few cats around but my fear is getting mice in it as I'm sure that would ruin any vacation. Any tips for preventing that?

I bought steel wool and foam and I'm going to try and seal everything off. I also bought a bunch of snap traps and glue traps I'm going to set inside incase they come in/as a warning that I have an issue.

DJB

FNG
We scatter lavender scented moth balls in ours. We also clean it before we put it away to make sure there is no food residue left in the trailer to attact mice.

Apollo117

WKR
My wife and I just bought our first travel trailer. It's going to be stored at my buddies farm on concrete. He has a few cats around but my fear is getting mice in it as I'm sure that would ruin any vacation. Any tips for preventing that?

I bought steel wool and foam and I'm going to try and seal everything off. I also bought a bunch of snap traps and glue traps I'm going to set inside incase they come in/as a warning that I have an issue.
I would only use traps if you plan on checking the traps often. Almost daily.

Decaying mouse carcass odor doesn't make for a great spring road trip.

Cut Irish Spring soap bars into quarters. Put in cupboards and around. Works for us.

My lady works for the school district and the pest control company gave her this tip.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
We use Bounce dryer sheets, the Costco two pack, so 200 or so, throughout our 28' trailer. We pretty much empty ours of everything in the fall except the mattresses/furniture. Put the sheets everywhere, under/in/behind everything, even in the front storage and outdoor kitchen if you have one. We leave our outside on concrete and don't have a problem. Smells nice in the spring too. In the fall before it gets cold and once it starts to warm up in the spring, we put three Damp Rid buckets in there too to keep humidity under control.

OP
E

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I've been seeing the dryer sheets trick / irish spring so I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the Damp Rid idea too, that was on my list to order but I forgot.

ahlgringo

WKR
I would pick up a few more cats from the pound and drop them off at the farm-

I have a barn that I store my trailer in- I have tried and do all of the above tricks. Depending on the tenacity of the rodents in your neck of the woods- they will ignore all that other sh&t. I also use peppermint oil soaked cotton balls spread everywhere.

The best you (or atleast I) have been able to do is to keep them at bay, minimizing damage.

This is probably the one thing on earth cats are good for.

WCB

WKR
Cats will help big time....dry sheets, steel wool etc help. If possible check in on the trailer a couple times a month to keep on top of it. If you clean it really good so there is no food residue and the shed itself doesn't have those attractants shouldn't be a big issue.

Randle

WKR
A friend said he tried it all and comet around the tires helped the most

Opah

WKR
My only suggestion is to place a chlorine tablet on each tire top and on the frame rails, worked for us in central california hog hunting areas.
One other is a 5 gallon bucket with one Gallon antifreeze a nice ramp for them to walk up and a teeter totter out to bait hung in the middle of the bucket. works great outside and will hold a bunch of mice without the odor

elkguide

WKR
Another vote for dryer sheets and Irish Spring has worked for the camper parked by the barn all winter.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved

1) Build bait stations
Make 1.25” pvc “T”, load with JustOneBite Bars

2) fabric softener sheets, changeout mid winter. We do this in our farm equipment cabs, and are fairly successful keeping them at bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no matter what you do mice will get in the trailer eventually..... so it is just a matter of controlling them when they do find their way in.

OP
E

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
1) Build bait stations
Make 1.25” pvc “T”, load with JustOneBite Bars

2) fabric softener sheets, changeout mid winter. We do this in our farm equipment cabs, and are fairly successful keeping them at bay

Do you put the bait stations outside or inside?

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the pest control industry and it’s funny hearing people bring up so many old wives tales in regards to mice. The amount of moth balls you have to use to deter mice is toxic to people. If you put that stuff out and don’t get mice it will be because they come, not because you used it. Clean it real clean and seal it up real good and you’ll be fine. If they get in you didn’t do a good enough job

Wapiti1

WKR
Interesting, I've had two trailers and my folks have had 5 or 6 over probably 50 years. We've never had mice in them. We both winterize and store them along the side of our driveways and we both live out in the country.

We don't do anything special other than winterizing the tanks, blowing out lines and giving them a good cleaning before winter. NO food is left in them. Don't give them a reason to get in.

Never had an issue.

Jeremy