Traveling with Moose Antlers

I need to travel with Moose antlers on an airline. Anu suggestions for methods? I am thinking I will cut off at bases and leave it up to taxidermist to figure out (pin). What could I put them in/wrap them in?

You will want to cap it like any other mount, but your going to have to split the plate as well. My father put it in a crate, one on top of another bubbled wrapped with some closed cell foam supports and had it freighted home. Took 10 days but got there safe and sound.

You should talk to your taxi, as I'm sure he would advise against loping them off at the bases. He won't be able to do anything with that, especially how heavy they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
∆ just cap it and and saw about halfway though it and drop it on a rock and the skull cap will break along the saw mark. Your taxidermist can then use the break mark to set the antlers into thier exact position. I'd give your guy a call and ask but the above method works pretty good

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
big10hunter
Im more curious as to what kind of packaging to use. Crating cost big bucks, especially freighting it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on who your flying with. I split my caribou and wrapped in bubble wrap and boxed it up and Alaskan airlines flew it home on my plane

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Depending on the new mount, taxid will have advise on where to cut for removable antlers
Another way is to cut skull plate in a < cut instead of straight, easier to glue together at correct spacing. Make notes as to starting width.
Then flip one and lay them one inside the other, wrap as needed to keep tines from poking through cardboard

Or if it's a little guy, just toss it into your carry-on

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
I know its a bit different, but I wrapped up a bunch of caribou sheds in a tarp with cardboard taped over the more aggressive points and checked them all of the way home with Alaska Airlines. They did just fine.

OP
big10hunter
I know its a bit different, but I wrapped up a bunch of caribou sheds in a tarp with cardboard taped over the more aggressive points and checked them all of the way home with Alaska Airlines. They did just fine.

You checked them as regular luggage, not on the cart before the door as carry on?