Treadmill incline up to 40%

Jkuhn22

FNG
My wife is wanting a treadmill and when doing research I came across the NordicTrack X22i which can go from -6 to 40% incline. 99% of treadmills can go to 15% incline, but at 40% would this be helpful for training for the mountains?

jodorouse

FNG
This is my first season of trying it. Been walking at 15% incline on my treadmill with my boots on. My gut says going higher may provide benefit but it would probably pretty marginal. Doing 60 minutes at 15% incline is plenty for me. You can climb a few thousand feet at that rate. Now if I could figure out how to make the atmosphere in my basement equivalent to 10,000’ I would have it made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I’ve heard you need to be careful with incline on treadmills, can be bad for Achilles’ tendon. I wouldn’t run on an incline set more than a couple degrees. I much prefer the stair climber with a pack on.

GotDraw?

WKR
Be *extremely* careful and protective of your Achilles tendons, especially if trying steep treadmill grades with a weighted pack.

You must condition and train your Achilles and calves into it and it may take many months.

Downside is if you get Achilles tendonitis, you can completely screw up your training and possibly your hunt.

I learned the hard way but was able to sufficiently recover in time to hunt.

JL

pirogue

WKR
From what I’ve heard you need to be careful with incline on treadmills, can be bad for Achilles’ tendon. I wouldn’t run on an incline set more than a couple degrees. I much prefer the stair climber with a pack on.
Just look on the Plantar Fascitis thread. Incline treadmills are also notorious for creating PF. I know.

My wife is wanting a treadmill and when doing research I came across the NordicTrack X22i which can go from -6 to 40% incline. 99% of treadmills can go to 15% incline, but at 40% would this be helpful for training for the mountains?
I like hitting the stairs with a 50lbs vest, money for those back country hunts.

Yes for sure. Do it. My wife bought one of those and that 40% incline will do ya good and strengthen the heart and legs. Just make sure you have 8' or higher ceiling.

Just look on the Plantar Fascitis thread. Incline treadmills are also notorious for creating PF. I know.

Yes this is a good point. Ease into it over a period of months and wear hikers or runners with a low and straight and soft heel counter.

Sako76

WKR
I used to do a treadmill starting out flat and slowing raising the incline every 5 minutes to level 7. I got a great work out, unfortunately I got a bad case of bursitis in my right hip. When I went to my Dr. (who is a hunter), he said "your body ain't made to exercise at that incline"! I now hike long distances of flat land as well as mountains and take it slow.

jakeohe

FNG
Can't hurt - be sure to stretch your calves after! I have heard of serious achilles issues after overtraining like this

Incline workouts are great for building climbing legs for flatlanders. Not only is it good for legs but you can really increase your cardio fitness. Most of my workout would be in the 22 -25% incline. I could dial in my heart rate and keep it where I wanted it by adjusting the speed and incline. One of my favorite workouts was 3000ft elevation as quick as possible. Best I could do was 58minutes but it really improved my climbing legs for trail races. The best part is you are able to simulate longer mileage by using the incline for the same cardio output needed at longer distance. This helps take the wear and tear off older knees from pounding the pavement. You really end up power hiking and not running when on an incline trainer. As long as you work your way up incline slowly you will be just fine.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I have been doing a treadmill workout(at basically sea level) starting at incline 5 at a 2.8/mile pace and every quarter of a mile bumping it up another level. I believe my gym's treadmill just has levels and not % of incline. I do this for an hour solid several times a week. It feels like I am getting some good out of it. Sometimes I'll hit a stair machine for 15 mins or so beforehand.

Last edited: