Treadmill vs Elliptical

I’m in the market for a piece of USED (read inexpensive) cardio equipment. It needs to be something I can readily find used for cheap, ideally something that doesn’t take up a lot of room, and something that I can still be watching a computer screen while using.

I’m working at home for the foreseeable future and it occurred to me that I could be exercising during so many of these zoom meetings. Due to the factors above, I think a treadmill is probably easiest to acquire and use while working, but a good deal on an elliptical recently came up that has me interested. I would really like something that simulates elevation, and most treadmills that don’t cost an arm and a leg seem to only go up about 10 degrees.

Am I missing anything?

Apollo117

WKR
I had a coworker who laid a one by twelve across the handles of a treadmill so she could set her laptop on it during meetings.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I've been in the same dilemma. I ended up snagging a used bowflex tread climber off of FB marketplace for $200, only have a couple workouts on it but so far I'm loving it. I throw a couple sandbags in the pack and hike for ~30-45 minutes, super convenient.
I wasn't specifically looking for a treadclimber, I was just looking around to find a good deal on any good used piece of equipment (elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike), But this one was the best deal I stumbled on locally. So far I'm liking it. My advice would be do the same, pick up whatever you find a good deal on first and use the heck out of it.

OP
G
I had a coworker who laid a one by twelve across the handles of a treadmill so she could set her laptop on it during meetings.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thoughts like that have definitely crossed my mind.

TripleAAA

FNG
I’m in the market for a piece of USED (read inexpensive) cardio equipment. It needs to be something I can readily find used for cheap, ideally something that doesn’t take up a lot of room, and something that I can still be watching a computer screen while using.

I’m working at home for the foreseeable future and it occurred to me that I could be exercising during so many of these zoom meetings. Due to the factors above, I think a treadmill is probably easiest to acquire and use while working, but a good deal on an elliptical recently came up that has me interested. I would really like something that simulates elevation, and most treadmills that don’t cost an arm and a leg seem to only go up about 10 degrees.

Am I missing anything?
I took an older treadmill and put a old desk top on the handles and work and walk. Lost 20 lbs even on the slow setting.

maj

FNG
If you go for an elliptical, think about finding one without the arm attachments (or at least have them be removable). They tend to get in the way when you try to do anything but simply exercise (like send a text, read emails, or other things you might want to do during your workday).

OP
G
I've been in the same dilemma. I ended up snagging a used bowflex tread climber off of FB marketplace for $200, only have a couple workouts on it but so far I'm loving it. I throw a couple sandbags in the pack and hike for ~30-45 minutes, super convenient.
I wasn't specifically looking for a treadclimber, I was just looking around to find a good deal on any good used piece of equipment (elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike), But this one was the best deal I stumbled on locally. So far I'm liking it. My advice would be do the same, pick up whatever you find a good deal on first and use the heck out of it.

I ended up getting a tread climber. It’s definitely an interesting machine. It’s sneaky fast in that your heart rate and legs start getting a workout even though you really aren’t moving that fast.

I need to try it some more and see if get used to it more because the one thing I don’t like so far is that it is difficult to walk and be on a computer at the same time because the walking surface is doesn’t leave much room for error if you’re not focusing. That may be something my brain just gets used to over time though.