Trecking pole supported Tent question?

I know this this may not be the best part of the Forum for asking this question but I figure a larger percent of elk hunters pack in than do hunters of most other species of game and we elk hunters search the open Elk forum moreso than other elk threads so here goes:

I have never used trecking poles but have considered doing so from time to time. I have however when crossing streams especially when wearing a heavy pack taken the time to search out a piece of driftwood to help steady myself when crossing a stream, especially one with slippery rocks. So I can see the value of trecking poles. I also have seen of late a number of very light tents that utilize trecking poles for vertical support.

Say I buy a tent that requires the use of trecking poles. I get my gear packed in to my spike camp, set the the trecking pole tent with my gear inside. Now I'm ready to hunt the next morning. All that said here is one of my actual questions: Do you only use the poles to aid in getting your gear to the campsite or do you also use the poles while hunting.? I'm thinking that if you set the tent up with your excess gear inside and want to use the poles while hunting you would have to collapse the tent and leave it collapsed while hunting which might not very well ward off moisture etc?

For what it's worth a couple years ago I bought a cheap 2 person single wall tent (only utilized by myself) that was meant to use a trecking pole or poles for support but I just cut a couple tree branches roughly the correct length after arriving at my campsite and also used some parachute cord to tie to loops in the top of the tent to trees or tree branches to further support the tent instead of using trecking poles. However with my cheap tent I couldn't really set up in the tent without my head touching the inside roof of the tent which was wet not from leaking but from sweating a lot on the inside and after about 4 days with it raining one night all night and most of another day much of my extra clothing in the tent was damp. Then of course it snowed about 8" but fortunatly I had just gone back to the truck to dry my clothing when the snow started. That said, brings up another question: Have any of you had a good expierence with a lightweight single wall all season tent that kept you dry in all weather? Thanks in advance.

Spike tent camp 2018.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    449.1 KB · Views: 59

tttoadman

WKR
If is a long trip, I will take my dedicated shelter pole. For a weekend trip, I will keep one with me to pack out or setup my spike tarp while the other is holding up the shelter. I have dropped my shelter on the ground to use both poles, and have never had any issues with it.

Some trekking pole tents will work fine with sticks if you want to use the poles during the day or you can even string them up between two trees kind of like the ridge line of a hammock tarp. I have a 3F UL Lanshan 2 that can easily be pitched with a couple sticks or between trees if needed.

Regarding moisture, I like double wall tents, even if it is a trekking pole tent. To me, it worth extra weight to have a barrier between me and the wet walls. It also helps with bugs.

My impression is this type of tent are designed for through hikers and such for the lightest weight gear and quick setup. Once at camp spot, pitch tent and get to sleep. Don't need poles till next day.

Think in a hunting situation I would cut some suitable branches for poles. Heck even grab sticks for trecking poles only when needed, then toss them.

I use a trekking pole tent on all my hunts. In the beginning I wanted to use the same pole the next day. However most of the single wall tents will be quite wet in the morning and if you collapse them, all your gear will be wet too. Now I just use the poles for packing out, but depending on the tent, the manufacturer may make carbon rods for pitching the tent. Zpacks makes super light poles that you could probably cut to size if needed. My hunting partner uses sticks on his tent and it seems to work for him. Just be mindful of sharp edges.

*zap*

WKR
Set up shelter, remove trekking pole and cut a limb the length of the trekking pole and use the limb to re-set up shelter.

Mike7

WKR
If using a solo or low profile shelter like my menkaura sil, I pitch it with one trekking pole and take the other one with me. I have to put the pole tip on a rock or piece of wood if I want to get enough shelter height off of the ground for good ventilation.

For taller shelters, I use both trekking poles or bring a small, light folding pruning saw which can cut a sturdy tent pole to exact length.

I don’t often use trekking poles while actively hunting. Typically it’s just for the initial morning climb before legal shooting hours or after shooting hours but I always carry at least one with me in case an animal is downed.

Dedicated carbon fiber tent poles can be had that don’t add a ton of weight if you want to keep the tent pitched while hunting. On a single pole tent you can carry one pole still while hunting.

I’ve had good luck staying dry with pyramid type tents but would probably struggle a bit at head/foot ends if I were any taller (I’m 5’10”). I use an ultralite breathable bivy or single person nest in really wet or buggy areas for extra protection.

Wrench

WKR
Trekking poles are a fantastic bipod, tent pole, clothes line.....etc. I have mine on 99% of gun hunts and 50-60% of bow hunts.

Once you use them, you realize how handy they are.

And as mentioned, they also make a great tape measure to go fund the right pole to cut.

*zap*

WKR
I always take trekking poles when I am in the woods and fields. Always have at least a day pack and they can strap right on it but if I twist an ankle or anything Murphy like happens they are available.

big44a4

WKR
Used a trekking pole tent before and would leave them in the tent while hunting. Now I use a pyramid style with a dedicated center pole so carry trekking poles with me for the hike back to camp in the evenings. No issue with getting wet in my single wall pyramid. Pitch it high enough to help with ventilation. Don’t even have a vent in the tent either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set up shelter, remove trekking pole and cut a limb the length of the trekking pole and use the limb to re-set up shelter.

Yep, works every time:)
Torn my bug mesh a little once ,though, on my zpacks duplex. Gotta be a little careful.

It’s been mentioned, but zpacks makes 4’ or so carbon fiber poles for ul shelters.
Their cf hiking poles are pretty sweet too...
I use both, really great products for ounce counters.

rbljack

WKR
Yep....I ran the supertarp this year for my mule deer hunt and I used two branches the correct lenth to support my tarp so I could have my trekking poles with me while I was at my first camp location. When I relocated, I knew it was only going to be an overnight stay, so I used my trekking poles to support the tarp. I hunted fairly close to camp that evening and again the next morning, so I really didn't need the poles on me. IF I shot something and needed a pole, there was always the option to pic up a few walking sticks if needed until I got back to camp as a temporary measure. After the morming hunt, I packed camp on my back and had poles in hand again. They are pretty handy to have for sure.