Trecking Poles Yes or no?

outdoor hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm hunting a new area this year and it is STEEP. I'm looking into getting some poles. I'd like some feedback. Part of me doesn't want to (just another thing to carry). The very little research I've done tells me you can spend $20.00 to $200.00 carbon fiber or aluminum? what type of grips? Twist clamps or flip clamps? Telescoping or non?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, as the saying goes---"get the best you can afford." There are lots out there but whichever ones you get, you will never leave home without them.

Randy

jhall239

FNG
Cant add anything much to what has been said, I was a scoffer at first thought they would be in the way
now won't leave home w/o them

Navaluk

FNG
Heck yes. I just did a Mountain Goat Hunt and used them off and on. They are awesome. Get clip lock telescoping expensive types.

I'll go ahead and put my 2 cents in and say yes, absolutely worth it. Flintlock, carbon fiber, cork handles. It's the only way to climb.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up some black diamond trail back poles and quite glad I did on my recent trip. They were well reviewed/rated and not horrifically expensive. It surprised me how much even one increased my stability. The side benefit also is that I can set up a tarp anywhere having these with me

Very best,

Ian

Hawkeye

FNG
I am big fan of black diamond z poles. Lightweight and stow easily in your pack. They are well worth the investment. I never leave home without them. They go in the pack when I am hunting.

lintond

WKR
On the hike out to move camp I opted to carry my bow and strap my poles onto my pack. When I got to the bottom of the hill I was kicking myself as my knees were ready to explode. They really help in balancing and taking some of the pounding as you go down hill.

OP
outdoor hunter

outdoor hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered 2 sets from costco (yukon charlies) from my research these are a great deal, not to mention my brother n law already field tested for me this summer:) Carbon fiber with options at the tips. $44.99 a pair. Looks like costco.com has 8 more in stock.

tuffcity

WKR
They've saved my ass a few times, don't leave home with out them! (for hunting purposes anyway :) )

RC

tttoadman

WKR
I am pretty sold on them. Don't stress out about packing the standard 3 PC. I have them dismantled and tucked inside my pack with the tips always covered by a shirt of some kind. You knock 2 or 3 in off the length by taking them apart. I have Leki and got them for $100 at an REI sale .

DaveC

WKR
Flick locks for sure, 3 section poles highly recommended so you can stow one/both in your pack while hunting. Hunters would do well to get more durable poles.

The only downside of the BD Alpine Carbon Corks is the price. The BD Trail Backs are nice alternative; a bit heavier, a bit less stiff and durable, and half the price.

Not a fan of the avy-probe style poles (BD Distance et al). Too many moving parts and too easy to jam.

Have made trips out with them and without....give me my Black Diamond every time.
Sure they are somewhat of a hassle while in the pack but when its time to pack out they are worth every ounce of carry!

I have the flip-lock type and have used them for 2 seasons without any problems at all.

Best of luck!

Used poles for the first time on the trip that I just returned from. They are very nice with a heavy load, on steep climbs and blowdowns. I watched sites like the clymb and promotive to catch them on a deal. I'll have them with me again in a couple of weeks in WY.